Question: Are axolotls happier in pairs?

angyles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! total newbie here, first post :D

After years of wanting one, I finally got my first axolotl about 1 month ago (woohoo!) So far Seymore is about 6" long and growing pretty quickly. I'm wondering if I should get another one. I've read that when they're young, their canablistic, but I'm not sure how young that is.

In general, are they happier with more than one, or by themselves? The store I got him from said they're happiest alone, but I notice a lot of people seem to have them in pairs. Which is better?

It doesn't really matter to them. They're perfectly fine by themselves. You should keep in mind that if you do go get another one (which it's hard not to) you'll need to keep it quarantined for a while, and you'll need to have a tank large enough for both of them (if you keep them together).

how large do they both need to be before they can be safely housed together?

Measure the width of the one you have now's head. Anything that size or smaller has potential as a snack. Anything bigger should be safe. It's probably better if the axolotls are of a similar length.

Hi. Welcome. They are only really cannibalistic when younger if they are cramped together and if they dont have enough food. Accidents do happen but dont cause massive problems especially when babies as they do grow new limbs back really quickly when small. As long as they are similar size as nathan mentioned ie similar length and one cannot get the other ones head thru its mouth you should be safe. There is still a risk of nipping each other so make sure there are enough hides and that you feed them seperately at either end of the tank if possible. This will just minimise accidental bites whilst feeding. Oh one more thing if you end up with a male and female you will almost definately get eggs at somepoint. As seymore is still too small to sex it will be pot luck. Either that or wait till seymore is fully adult and get another same sexed adult to avoid this. That is if you want to prevent eggs. Anyway apologies for long post i tend to ramble when tired and its 2.20am! Good luck. Mel

great! I think I will be adding another one in a few months then.

When are axolotls considered adults? Is it ever possible to house axolotls under 6 inches long together safely? And is quarantining necessary even with 6-inch and larger axolotls?

'Adult' implies mature enough to breed - usually around 10-12 months.

You shouldn't have any trouble with 2 axies at 6 inches assuming they have enough space.

Quarantining is essential for any animal being added to a tank - it's is done to make sure your new animal does not bring any nasty diseases, parasites etc to your existing pet(s), and tank. It has nothing to do with age, size or genetics, it's just making sure it's healthy.
That said, if you know where your new pet is coming from, e.g. a breeder you trust, you can reduce the quarantine period or skip it if you are getting several animals from the same place.

I would argue over the principle that axies don't care about company or not. It's only anecdotal, but when I segregated my male he got quite upset. Once I introduced another batchelor he calmed right down, and I am convinced his agitation was because he couldn't find his friends as he used to share a tank with 3 females.

I also believe mine are happy with company.

I don't have any that don't get along with the rest...yet.

I think my two tolerate each other but at meal time they do get snippy and look irritated that they're in each others way

I had 2 axies together, when Bonnie passed away Clyde was very subdued, he didnt take any notice of me anymore and it was like he was swimming around aimlessly looking for someone.
Ever since ive got him 3 new axie tank mates hes like his normal self again and seems alot happier :D
So i think all axies are different. Im guessing if theyve always been on their own they have nothing to miss, whereas axies that are separated may pine for the other one.
Its not estential to be kept in pairs, but i can sit there for hours watching them swim around and play together.

When I was raising my axolotls I had a tiny little runt and one almost as small who floated on its side most of the time. I didn't really think they would survive, so I put them in my outdoor daphnia tub, I figured at least they would have enough to eat. Well a couple months went by and they had thrived! When I brought them inside they were housed in the same tank together at all times. I sold the runt to a friend and put the other in with my other juveniles. That little guy swam laps around the tank for 3 days before finally calming down again! I think he was looking for his friend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back