Greetings to all from Vancouver, WA, USA!

hefferdee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone - my interest in amphibians really increased when my 11 yr old son brought home a newt from camping. At the time we all thought it was a salamander - some research last night showed me that it is actually a Rough Skinned Newt - "Taricha granulosa" to be exact. I have been fascinated with the opportunity to watch this little guy up close. Sure they're not super active compared to some other pets, but they're so intricately designed and unique - I just love it! We recently got another one just like him from a neighbor who wasn't able to care for theirs (originally from the same camping area, though). I also just found out last night that we have violated a Washington State law by doing this. :(

They continue to be a joy to watch and care for, both for myself and our 5 children; we have all learned a lot about amphibians recently. ;) Thanks for reading my introduction!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would check into the laws about keeping the newts, if someone found out and reported it you could face large fines for each animal and a possible prison sentence. I've known a couple who actually was merely telling a friend about an animal they had in public and their conversation was overheard and was reported that way. The person wrote down their license plate number as they left a restaurant, and they got into trouble.

Be careful.

I used to bring those home all the time as a kid. My grandma lived on Mason Lake down there and I would dive and get tons of those! they are very cute. BUT BE CAREFUL!!! THEY ARE VERY POISONOUS! :eek:I was lucky as a kid, I held them (and even have a pic kissing one), but they emit a poison when threatened. Just watch your son when he touches it, and WASH HANDS after!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back