Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GLC sitting out of the water

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hi Guy's.

My lovely goldern axolotls is having problems again.

Ive been watching her for the past few months and she has been climbing on top of her plant pot which is just under the surface and sitting with her back and her head poking out of the water.

She is in a tank by herself 20% water change once a week cleaned out everyday so im pretty sure its nothing to do with my water,plus i have two other tanks with my axolotls in and they are fine but i have posted a thread before saying how the axolotls was kept in a tank with iodien running through im thinking this may be why she is acting like this.

Her toes are starting to become more rounder and he top of her tail in her back has started to shrink back.

I dont want my axie to change but i fear that its going to happen anyway.

Can some one please give me some advise what to do?,Lower the water height in the tank and let nature take its course?

Pics of GLC In second link before she started sitting on her plant pot!

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...sick-axolotl/64870-axolotls-stumpy-gills.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xolotl-free-all/66352-age-sex-my-axolotl.html

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

On the first link I don't see any pictures and on the second the gills look a bit small with very low amount of feather-bits.

If your axolotl is starting to meta-morph I wouldn't try to stop her because the meta-morph is very dangerous in the first place and trying to stop it will cause LOTS of stress and the risk of death or illness will drastically increase.

I would wait for someone more experienced than me to reply like Kaysie, Kerry or Dave.

Until then if you are concerned I would move your axolotl to its own tank if other axolotls live with her.

melfly

Reaction score
Hi Gemz.
First things first, test the water.
You need to know what the readings are it could simply be a water quality problem.
What is the temperature?
I wouldn't do anything yet. If he can get his head out of the water i would just leave things as they are.
But get the water tested.

Mel

melfly

Reaction score
I dont at this point think she's morphing. But i believe blaze is right. She wont be stopped from morphing she would drown. So the fact she can get her head above water if she really wants to is good. But i wouldn't take any drastic steps just yet. If the tank hasn't gone through a full cycle the water needs changing more often than weekly. More like daily. This is why a master test kit is a must. Mel

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

As per comments her tank was fully cycled for over two weeks before introducing her to her current tank (i moved her into a larger tank by herself).

I do all my water changes tommorrow for their tanks,I live in the country so i dont have any pet shops around that do the liquid test kits for the tanks,I have just bought a kit from liquid kit from ebay which im hoping will arrive pretty soon.

Im the meanitme im using dip stick test kits,i know its not the best but i have ordered a proper kit, the readings are as follows.

Temp,17C ,N03- 40,N02-0,PH6.5,

No3 - 40 is that quite high,Should i do a water change today instead of tommorrow?

Good News is she is back on the bottom of the tank this morning,But im not sure how long she will stay these as shes been doing this on and off for the past few months!

Thanks in advance!

melfly

Reaction score
Hi Gemz
Do you mean the tank was fully cycled and then two weeks later you put the axie in.
Or do you mean it cycled in two weeks. Because that wont be the case. Apologies if it is in fact the former.
The tank will take 4-6 weeks to fully cycle and thats the fast end it can take 8 weeks or longer.

The nitrate doesn't look to bad to be honest.
I'm thinking it could be an ammonia problem. How much water does the tank hold? I'm wondering if it needs more than 20% weekly.
You only really need to change the water when the test results show you should.
So when you have the master kit you'll be sorted!

Has the temp stayed constant 17? Could it be fluctuating? Was it more yesterday when she was up at the top?

Mel

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for not being clear i set up her tank from start and left to cycle for over two weeks before adding her in,i was up grading the tank to a bigger one for he cause she is massive!

Shes now been that tank for about 2 and a half months now.

As per comment from bella im confused shall i change the water today or tommorrow?

Ive ordered a API Freshwater test kit today so fingers crossed it arrives very soon

Its a 2 1/2 foot which i half fill and do about a bucket change approx 8 liters and the tank half filled is about 36 liters if that makes sense,:confused:

I keep the axolotls in the back room temp can be anything between 10-18 in the last month due to the weather,It normally floats between 16-18 and was 16 yesterday.

Thanks in advance ! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1