Question: My axolotls gills arent fluffy anymore.

scrappa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Drew
Hi,

My axolotls gills used to be really fluffy and were red when i got him.

He is a wild type and now his gills are very fluffy even though the feathers are still there they're not sticking out much and aren't as long. Is this because of how much oxygen is in the water or something?

I want his gills to go fluffy again because he looked nicer :)

If it will make him unhappy I don't mind the small gills though.

He is showing no sign of stress so he isn't ill but his gills are long and thin now before they were a bit shorter and wide and fluffy.

The way to maximise full gill potential is to feed a nutritional diet and to keep the water temp correct and keep the water clean. Mel

Do you think theyve shrunk because for past 3 weeks he only had bloodworms no earthworms because the floor was frozen over i only got him back on earthworms today.

My luestics gills are fine and they are on the same diet as him.

There may be no reason for it. If you look at my pics i have a wild a gold and a leucistic and my leucistics gills seem to have shrunk a bit over the last 6 months whereas the other twos are still long. They are in the same tank on the same food so i really have no idea. Mel

Maybe its something that happens during sexual maturity of the axolotl the one with shrinking gill is about 5" long he is still juvenile but the other two are an inch smaller than him.

It could just be genetic. Mine are all about 22cms.

Can you post a photo ? I am sure all is well, my guys gills seem to change on occasion . Check the water quality aswell, just in case there is something going on there.

Will try to get one later they sleep from about 3am-10am ish so they are in their hidey holes at the moment.

Hey scrappa. One thing to check is the ammonia levels and the water quality. If it's bad then it can irritate the gills, causing them to shrink.

Just make sure it has optimal water parameters and nutrition. Genetics will do the rest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back