P. cinereus and springtails

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I read in a respected Amphibian book that Plethodon cinereus does not eat collembolans (i.e. springtails). I never kept any. Can anyone refute this?

It says they eat them on Caudata Culture too. I am wondering if anyone who actually keeps this species knows whether they eat them, from experience.

Hi mine eat them.

Mine eat them all the time. I have noticed the larger salamanders don't forage for them as regularly as the smaller guys though.

I don't know why that guy said that. But otherwise the book is fantastic. I"ll be reviewing it in the next few.

What book is this? Did it say specifically that they don't eat them or were collembolans just absent from the results of a dietary study?

It said that where there are p. cinereus collembolans thrive because they eat their predators and not the collembolans. It's Wells book. I can't quote it directly yet because it's still in my locker at work.

It said that where there are p. cinereus collembolans thrive because they eat their predators and not the collembolans. It's Wells book. I can't quote it directly yet because it's still in my locker at work.

I've seen my P.cinereus eat the larger springtails. Perhaps he said that because a lot of times when you find a redback you'll see lots of springtails, but springtails are extremely prolific and common. It would take a very talented (determined and hungry) redback to eat all of the springtails under a log.

My P. Cinereus never ate springtails....he loved baby crickets though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back