Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Roundworms in Axolotl tank

JHavlicek

Reaction score
Hi this is the first time I've posted here but I am having trouble clearing up roundworms in my axolotl tank. I've been using "Parasite Clear" by Jungle, water changes and siphoning out the worms. The worms are free-living but unattractive and worry me that they may harm my axies. I have three axolotls in the tank but none seem to be ill as of yet all are eating and behaving normally. The tank's nitrate, pH and ammonia levels are all fine and the temp is around 20 C. What can I do to get rid of the buggers? Thanks!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What are 'roundworms'? The only roundworm that comes to mind is technically a fungus, and not a free-living creature.

Having critters in your tank is normal and healthy.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Don't use the parasite clear anymore, it is doing more harm than good. What kind of substrate are your axolotls kept on? What kind of test kit are you using?

The best method for removing the worms is a 6 pack of beer and a turkey baster, this method is also very effective for snails.;)

michaelaf

Reaction score
Greatwtehunter said:
The best method for removing the worms is a 6 pack of beer and a turkey baster, this method is also very effective for snails

beer???

Last edited by a moderator:

JHavlicek

Reaction score
I have a sand substrate and using strips to test the ammonia and nitrate levels (I think they are by Tetra, and a pH test kit by Wardley.

And beer???

And the roundworms (or that's what I think they are) are tiny little white worms I can see attached to the glass of the tank that squirm around on it. I checked my axies and they don't have any externally, nor does their behavior indicate any illness or distress (yet) but I want to clear the little whatevers out.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Firstly I think the beer reference was a joke, as in, it is a long, tedious job cleaning out the tank with a turkey baster and having a few beers might make it more enjoyable!

The creatures you are referring to sound like planaria. The best way to get rid of them is to make sure your tank is scrupulously (sp?) clean, these little worm like creatures live on any left over food or waste in the tank. That being said they are completely harmless.

I once had a massive infestation of them when someone had switched off my filter and I hadn't realised! After a good clean (with afore-mentioned turkey baster) and the pump running as normal, they diminished quickly.

I often see a few if I look really closely at the glass of my tank, but I have heard it means a well-established tank, so they don't bother me!

JHavlicek

Reaction score
Ahh well thanks! Haha I was very worried when I spotted them! I am glad to hear they aren't anything to worry about and I am sorry to them then that I sucked them all away with a turkey baster if they were harmless =P. My three axies thank you all though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!