Fresh Cycling, need advice

Bbqlol

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axies have been in a tank that was not properly cycled, so I am going to cycle it and keep them in the fridge for a while. Is there a good website for instructions of how to do this properly? I don't want to miss out on anything. Right now, some sort of fuzzy mold is growing on one of their decorations and the water is getting cloudier by the minute; it's quite disgusting after a few days.

How long will I need the tank to cycle, are the axies going to be OK in the fridge until it's done, are there any products I can use to speed up the process, and how can I prevent the tank from getting gross again?

They are in a 20 gallon tank, steady 16-16.5C with a fairly powerful filter which is causing a little more current than I'd like but seems to be doing its job.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/dabuddha/DSC00072.jpg

there's a link to what I see on the decoration, if it helps.

This article should be just what you're looking for.

As for the products that claim to speed up the cycling? They seem to be hit or miss, mainly miss, when it comes to jump starting your aquarium. If you can find a really fresh bottle then it would work but most of the ones on the shelf have already been there too long.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciated :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back