Looking for a care sheet for Red Salamander

Lizamphid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im looking for a care sheet for Red Salamander. These Salamanders are not often up for sale here in the UK, i want to know what is involved raising them before i think about getting them. Not had any joy doing a google on care for them
many thanks

I don't have a care sheet, nor have I raised red salamanders, but I do have some experience with them in the wild. They are almost always found in or near cool (40-60 F), clear water, with rocky or muddy substrate, usually near springs, seeps, wet caves, or small streams. They feed on various small invertebrates and on smaller salamanders.

I suggest you make sure you can keep the cage at or below 70 F and humid, and keep a supply of very clean water available at all times. It need not be deep water. Caresheets for Eurycea, Gyrinophilus, or Desmognathus species should all be very close, as Pseudotriton share their habitat preferences.

Pseudotriton hide under slabs of stone or moss, or bury in muck. They deposit eggs underneath stones or in cavities; the eggs may be above or below the water level.

I've had red salamanders for years and I've found them to be very easy to raise. Nathan's ideas are good or you could even provide a more simple set up. I have kept mine on either moistened cocofiber or soil with a layer of sphagnum moss for burrowing. Cooler room or basement temperatures are ideal, and they will eat ANYTHING!

Without knowing the scientific nomenclature for this animal, I cannot provide much advice. I am certain that what I know as a red salamander is most likely a different species from what is available to you.

Perhaps you should have a look at the species database on CaudataCulture. There are care sheets for a good many species there and it would help you convey to the rest of us exactly which animal we are discussing.

As far as I know there isn't a caresheet for Pseudotriton ruber ruber or any other members of that genus.

As far as I know there isn't a caresheet for Pseudotriton ruber ruber or any other members of that genus.

With that said, there's still a wealth of information about their care requirements scattered about the forum. A search or two and some perusing should be worth your while.

Many thanks for the info, it was ruber ruber that i was referring to. Im looking forward to getting a pair.
kind regards

I keep red salamanders, and although this species is supposed to be secretive in captivity I have found that the way I keep them, they are both bold and very active.
Rather than the usualy advised terrestrial set up with small water bowl, mine are in a 3 foot tank.
This tank containes around 8 inches of water which is kept moving by a fluval 1 filter.

In the water are numerous slates and rocks, and above the water is a large easily accessable land shelf.
The shelf has live moss and pothos, along withpieces of corkbark for hides.
Occasionaly one of the sals can be founbd hiding beneath the moss on the land shelf, but most of the time is spent at the bottom of the water, and much to the amusement of some newt-salamander enthusiasts who have visited here, the sals have a thing for coming to the front of the tank to beg for food whenever I enter the room

Heres a not too good pic of one of the sals coming to beg for food

Attachments

• RSCN3375.jpg
    RSCN3375.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 3,463
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back