Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl wont come out of hiding spot

Petchy

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a problem I have a male Axolotl that is usually very active. Recently however he has been hiding in his hiding spot for days and not coming out (not even for food). I did however see him swimming around for about an hour at 3am this morning. I am very worried about him.

Please help me
Thank You

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It's an axolotl's nature to hide for very long periods at a time. I usually never see my axies during the day, and only get a good look at them at night when I do my feedings. They stay in their hides to avoid light. Like you said, they will be active when we are usually asleep, so there is nothing abnormal about him being hidden throughout the day. When do you typically feed him? And are there any other signs that would suggest him being unhealthy?

Petchy

Reaction score
Well I wasn't sure if I should disturb him so he didn't get fed for like 4 days while he was in his hiding place but then when he came out he got fed an earthworm and a mealworm. To answer your question no he looks normal big long gills, straight tail, active when his out. I did notice however he didn't snap at the food like he usually does he just sort of took it softly and so I found that kind of strange since usually his merciless when it comes to his worm.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
How long have you had him, and what temperature is the water? Mature axolotl will go a few days with out eating , especially if the water is cooler. My gang go through spells of not eating and then spend days begging for food.

Petchy

Reaction score
I've had him about 2 and a half months and has always been an active one but lately his just been in his hiding place doing nothing. Its the middle of summer here and so it is pretty hot. I can't measure the temperature of the water but I stick my finger in the water and it was around 20 degrees celcios.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would try and get a more accurate measurement of the temperature. Warm water is going to cause unusual activity, so that should be your first step. Do you happen to know your water parameters? High levels of ammonia could also cause stress in your axie causing unusual behavior.

Petchy

Reaction score
I do a 25% water change weekly and the Ph is quite low.

Petchy

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the nitrite and nitrate levels but the ammonia levels are low.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!