Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My albino Axo?!!!!!

mattjlloyd

Reaction score
I have recently began to keep Axolotl' at home. I havent had too many problems with three out of four of them other than the odd canibal amputation of a limb (amazing to see them regrow over time!) However one of my albino Axo's had tiny black freckles on his head when he arrived and now gets the odd sore which usually takes 2 weeks to heal, then it will appear again.

I have checked to find a diagnosis and treatment for him but most web sites say one thing then contradict themselves in the next breath, so I thought I would ask the people who actually keep them for a guide.
They are amazing creatures, I have had the other three for 5 months and they have gone from 3inch babies to 7-8inch behemoths so I would also like to ask what size tank should a community of fully grown axo's be housed in ( how big do they get?!!!)

Im not sure if I have posted this in the right place but any help would be greatfully recieved.

Thankyou, Matt

I have moved this thread from another area after wrongly postin it elsewhere.

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
I can't help with much, but I know other people will gladly post replies to help you out. You can find tons of extra information about axolotls at axoltol.org if you need more info. Also, axolotls need at least 10 gallons of water each. So if you have two axies, you should have at least a 20 gallon tank. But the bigger the better!!! I think they can reach the size of 18 inches, so they do need a big tank.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Axies can grow to up to a foot each, so a group of 4 would need quite a large tank, I would recommend a 55 gallon. Have you checked your water parameters? Or could you provide pictures of the sores you are talking about?

mattjlloyd

Reaction score
Thankyou for the quick reply people
I have uploaded (attempted to at least) some pics of my leper axo. Poor fella isnt off his food though. I change thier water every week and clean the stones every 2 weeks. Also I feed them by hand as they are quite friendly so there isnt a problem with left over food.
There are also 6 Head n' Taillight fish and 1 Plecko in the tank. The tank holds 80litres, dont know what that is in gallons lol

Edit. He also came with dark gills as you can see the pictures.

Attachments

• 347.jpg
    347.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 17,590
  • 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,136

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Oh, a foot. Sorry for the false info, guess I read that incorrectly.

The stones in the second picture look pretty small... Gravel that size is insufficient for axolotls because when they are snuffling around the bottom for food they can accidentally eat a rock and get impaction. Impaction is extremely dangerous and often deadly. You need stones that won't be able to fit in an axie's mouth, so you should consider changing your substrate as soon as possible.

Good luck with your axie.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Did you do any research before you started caring for your axies? The gravel is too small and can easily be swallowed causing impaction and possibly death. 20L is far too small for the number of axies that you keep, which would easily explain the reason your axies are nipping at eachother, and placos are AWFUL tank mates for axolotls. I am not sure what that growth may be, but if you have a vet near you who can handle axolotls, that may be your best bet. There are quite a few changes you need to make before your axolotls are going to be comfortable, and you need to remove the placo asap.

melfly

Reaction score
Hi matt for 4 axolotls your lookin at a 4 foot tank. I'm not sure the current tankmates are suitable for axolotls. I would say no to be honest. The best tankmate is other axolotl. 80 litres i would imagine is too small. Is it 2 and a half foot? What are the actual dimensions? Mel.

mattjlloyd

Reaction score
Ok I was going to change the stones the other day but all the aquatic shops only stock the larger but still too small variety, I figured it was best to keep the smaller ones until I can get to the beach to pilfer some pebbles.
Im looking at a bigger tank as I want to use the old one as kinda ER in case they get sick.
Cheers for the advice though :happy:

lea

Reaction score
hi mattjlloyd

instead of going bigger with the rocks you could go smaller like sand or 1mm(the info says 2mm but i use 1mm) or smaller.......they are small enough to go though if they are eaten...and it would be easier for you to clean....maybe the housemates are having a nibble on the axies and making the sore on him........

lea

melfly

Reaction score
You could even go barebottom for now it will be much better for them. Mel

melfly

Reaction score
Thats the sand i use. You do need to rinse it loads. And then loads more once you think you've done enough. Mel

axiegaz

Reaction score
indeed!! i put my sand in a pillow case and had the shower running on it for ages! After about 20 rinses through there was still a little pigmentation but it was definately worth it.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
That was my thinking too, that the fish may have latched onto the axie and caused a sore spot, especially as they keep disappearing and reappearing.

shoegal

Reaction score
I would not even be surprised if your pleco was sucking on the axie every once and a while. Axies are not very compatible with non-axie tank mates for various reasons. Start with removing the pleco.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1