Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Not Doing Well

HK

Reaction score
I just got an albino axolotl from an exotic pet store two days ago. He is about an inch and a half and not moving or eating. They told me to use feeder fish but he wasn't interested and I took them out when I researched more. They used gravel in the pet store but I used bigger rocks for my 10 gallon aquarium. Theres an internal filter but it has a spray bar. I tried giving him some daphnia cubes but he didn't move. He just stays still, occasionally he will move a cm or two but only when no one is in the room. I was worried about him not eating so I checked everything today, his water temperature is at 60* F or 16* C. The ph was at 7.4, ammonia, chlorine and nitrite was 0. Nitrate was at 10. So everythings good in that regard. I just don't know why he won't eat or move. I'm about to go out and get frozen bloodworms because that's what the pet store said they fed him.

melfly

Reaction score
Hello. I think you should try some live food. He's only a baby so will prefer live brine shrimp, live daphnia and live blackworms. When he gets bigger nightcrawlers will be the best staple diet for him. But for now he'll prefer something wriggly or moving. He may be still because he's getting used to his new home. Axolotls are also more active at night. Do you have some pics? (mainly coz i just wanna see him lol) mel

lea

Reaction score
hi hk

he could just be settling in and still getting used to his new home....you could try a cutup earthworm he might like the wiggly things. be careful a feeder fish they have to be germ free brfore you give them to your axie

lea

HK

Reaction score
I dropped a cube of frozen bloodworm in and he ate the worms that fell between rocks. He looks so much better, his gills and eyes are much pinker. His gills are curled forward right at the tips though, is that normal? Where do I get the live feed you mentioned? The pet stores around here only carry those things frozen or freeze dried. They have live night crawlers and mealworms. The night crawlers are pretty big but the mealworms not so much.
oakland.edu
I'm not sure if the picture is working, if it doesn't show up I'll try again later

HK

Reaction score
I think these will work, the first is him and the second is the tank. Sorry the lighting is not that good for the first, it was on a picture phone.

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 166

lea

Reaction score
hi hk

the gills turn forward is a sign of stress. is there a lot of water movement in your tank? this could make his upset

lea

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

your axie is still a little baby and at this age they are very sensitive. It´s better to remove the stones and leave him on a bare bottom tank, so it´s easier to remove the waste.
Daily water changes (20-30%) are important, because ammonia and nitrite are harmful to these little fellows.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!