Illness/Sickness: Blockage

sophieaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello to everyone,

We are in a bit of a crisis at the moment concerning our axolotl Milly. She has been sick lately so we called our local petstores and asked around, from what we gather she has a blockage... We have just put her in the fridge but does anyone know what could help her?:(

hello

a blockade is mostly food that cant be digested small stones hard bugshells etc
putting your axie in the fridge helps to slow down there metabolism

If it is in fact an impaction then you basically have 2 options. The first and least stressful way is to put it in the fridge like your doing now and just wait for it to pass. The second option is needed when an object is too large for the axolotl to pass on its own, this requires a vet to manually remove the blockage.

What are Molly's symptoms? What does her substrate consist of?

hello again,

Well the first thing that happened is that I noticed there were small worms in her tank, but aparently they're not related to the blockage they were just eating her food. We feed her axolotl pellets usually but all of a sudden she stoped eating, So we made a worm farm for her. she hadn't eaten for a while so we fed her as many of the worms as she wanted... She ate four but threw-up three of them. She has gotten quite skinny and her gills are very small. The water levels are fine,(P.H e.c.t)

Thank-you for your advice :happy:

Could you post a photo of her?
May be try her on a small worm , and leave her 12 hours or so before trying again. If she over eats she may well bring them back up again.
What size is she and what else do you have in the tank with her. Do you know what the tank temperature is at the moment?

:happy:Good news! She passed the pellet while in the fridge! We have just tried her with a worm and she isn't that interested, probably because the metabolisms are slowed in the fridge. Thank-you to everyone for their help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back