Mine died! What happened?

eereptiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok,
:sad:
So last night when we went to bed, both of my axy's were swimming around fine... no problems, they havent acted sick at all...... then this morning, we wake up and BOTH of them are dead! I can take a water sample in to see, but will that REALLY give me the answers as to what happened?

Lyndsay

I can only guess that your ammonia levels spiked and your ph dropped. Causes are an uncycled tank or lack of proper water changes. The fact that you can't test you own water at home and have to take it in to a store tells me that you were not monitoring your water conditions. Sorry for the loss but get a Ph and ammonia test kit they are an absolute must for anyone that keeps anything that has gills.

I would agree with Bill. Its either the water quality or temperature. Mel

For BOTH animals to die so suddenly, I would suspect other possible causes. Yes, a sudden spike in ammonia could kill them both, but water quality doesn't usually kill THAT fast. Did you put anything new into the tank? Feed from a new batch of food? Spray any chemicals in your house? Neighbors used an exterminator?

You should go ahead with getting the water tested, but I think you should also think about other possibilities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back