Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My new little gimpy axie, Kahlua =]

Skilly

Reaction score
Here is my pretty wild type baby. When I got little Kahlua from the pet shop he wasn't in the best shape. I think both his front arms got bitten off which is why they are so short. The left sided one is longer and has toes now but the arm on his right side is still a stump with the slightest hint of new toes growing. His back legs also are deformed for some reason and they do not work like regular axie legs. He has learned to swim around instead or crawling and has grown much healthier looking gills with a slight reddish hue.
He is super cute and I love him to death even if he is a little gimpy critter. :love:

Attachments

• First day in new home.JPG
    First day in new home.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Pretty new gills & growing longer toes.JPG
    Pretty new gills & growing longer toes.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 217
  • gimpy back legs.JPG
    gimpy back legs.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 210

lea

Reaction score
hi skilly

he is very cute......he is lucky he has a good home now.....love him lots:happy:

lea

pinkangel729

Reaction score
aww i love the gimpy ones though, they usually get left because no one wants them. so i usually take them on! He is very cute!

Skilly

Reaction score
Exactly, he needed someone to love him too. :)

Attachments

• My fat little Kahlua.JPG
    My fat little Kahlua.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 186

melfly

Reaction score
Bless him, he's very cute!
Make sure you dont breed him though because of his back legs, it could be genetic.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1