Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Random Tank Critters

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use this one tank for growing snails, and just experimentally. Some odd things have grown, I was hoping people could identify.

#1 what is this!!? It is about 1 cm long.
#2 I think these are planaria? They are all about 1/2 cm
#3 ditto
#4 ditto
#5 This I know is the snail egg sac. It is about 1 cm.

Attachments

• 100_3784sm.JPG
    100_3784sm.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 403
  • 100_3791sm.JPG
    100_3791sm.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 267
  • 100_3798sm.JPG
    100_3798sm.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_3800sm.JPG
    100_3800sm.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_3796sm.JPG
    100_3796sm.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 344

slowfoot

Reaction score
I think they're definitely flatworms of some sort. I get them sometimes cruising around on my tank walls.

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If #'s 2, 3 and 4 glide around the glass with a snail-like movement, then I'd say yes, they're planaria. Pesky little buggers that you do not want if your newts are laying eggs. :mad:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Numer 1 is definitely some sort of Turbellaria....

evut

Reaction score
If you want to get rid of planaria there is good advice on how to do it here
Planaria and Hydra Elimination in Shrimp Tanks - Library - Aquatic Plant Central

I used panacur in a shrimp tank with success. I bought a small amount form my vet. The type I had was granules which are difficult to dissolve in water. I used a pestle and mortar first and then whizzed it with a stick blender.

I'm not sure how different animals react to panacur but the shrimps were fine.

Some websites about aquarium pests:
What is that bug in my Aquarium? .:. Various small creatures that can inhabit a Freshwater Invertebrate Aquarium
Bugs you might encounter in your aquarium - AquaticQuotient.com

eyrops

Reaction score
As an alternative to Turbellaria (i.e., planaria)... I think #1 could be a leech, most likely a non-parasitic type..

#1 looks like a leech to me also. The oral sucker seems clear in the photo, and I think I see a larger, fainter caudal sucker. There are some faint lines that look like segmentation.

-Steve Morse

michael

Reaction score
Number 1 might be a blackworm leach. Blackworm leaches seem to be harmless and probably dissapear without blackworms.

michael

Reaction score
If you want to get rid of planaria there is good advice on how to do it here
[url=http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/library/5278
I

I'm not sure how different animals react to panacur but the shrimps were fine.

I wouldn't trust using panacur in a salamander tank. When I tried it I had problems raising salamander larvae in the tank. I'd tread lightly and do small tests before mass treating to get rid of anything. I've ready that assassin snails eat planaria and am going to try that the next time some planaria pop up in my tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1