Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Death

RobertStack

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a first time poster here but long time reader and viewer. To get right into it, I came home this evening to find that my wild type female had died at some point between 4:pM and 11:pM. I last saw her around 4:pM and she appeared to be alert and active and readily ate some earthworm pieces that I tossed in there.

I really am at a lost over this as I have no idea what would have caused such a sudden death. My male Axolotl of the same age and from the same tank appears perfectly healthy. Both Axolotls are almost two years of age and have never shown any signs of illness.

I noticed last night that she appeared a little bloated but I assumed she was getting ready to drop some eggs. When I found her this evening she appeared very bloated.

I would really appreciate any thoughts, concerns, or insight that might explain why she died so suddenly with out outwardly showing any signs of illness or disease.

Sincerely, Scott Wahlberg

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss, Scott. What an awful thing to come home to.

A few thoughts:

You mentioned you fed her some earthworms: Where did the worms come from? Is there any chance the worms may have been exposed to toxic chemicals such as fertlizers and pesticides?

Have any chemicals like bug spray, flea bomb, scented candles, cleaners, etc, been used anywhere near the tank? Does the tank have a lid?

Temperature: Has there been any wild temperature fluxuations in the tank? What temperature does the tank normally sit at?

Water Chemistry: Have you tested the water for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH?

RobertStack

Reaction score
The earth worms I feed them are the standard pin size earth worms that you can purchase from the sporting good section in wal-mart. I typically feed them Axolotl pellets and toss in an earth worm every now and then. The only difference is I did not chop them up this time. Is it realistic to think she could have choked on one?

It is a 55 Gallon tank with a lid and was housing two adult Axolotls. It does have an over flow filter but the water flow didn't seem to be causing much disturbance of the water and as far as I could tell neither of them were exhibiting signs of stress from this. They both ate very well.

Typically the water temperature varies between 69 - 72 degrees. I've never had an issue with keeping the temperature in the critical range. I tested the water after I found her last night. Everything is normal with the exception of the Nitrate level just barely being above normal. As for the substrate I am using pool filter sand, so, yes it is something they could fit in their mouth but certainly not anything they're going to choke on.

She did lay two pretty sizeable clutches of eggs in a four week period. Could stress from this cause her to suddenly die as a result of this?

Thanks, Scott

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My only thoughts would be having laid the two batches of eggs in quickish succession, and the slightly too warm temperatures. The combination may just have been a little too much for her. The bloating may have been an infection that got her while in a weakened state.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1