Illness/Sickness: Splinter looking parasite?

Lissy89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Splinter looking parasite? Worried, please help!

Hi there,
For the past couple of weeks or so I've been noticing what I thought were splinters coming out of my axies skin. I removed all possible sources of splintering (driftwood from tank etc), but the number of them has actually increased. On closer look, I've noticed they're not quite splinters - they all look exactly the same -- single dark body with two tiny clear fingers that branch out, about 3mm in length. It doesn't seem to be bothering the axolotls, both are still eating healthily and there's been no behavioural changes. They appear anywhere, but generally behing legs and under the neck... I'll post some photos. When I've tried to remove them, they are quite firmly attached. Has anyone experienced this before??? Parasite of some sort, perhaps?

Attachments

• DSC_0307.jpg
    DSC_0307.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,091
  • DSC_0308.jpg
    DSC_0308.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 833
  • DSC_0304.JPG
    DSC_0304.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 1,122
  • DSC_0306.jpg
    DSC_0306.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,376
Cheers! Relief to finally know :)

Have done salt bath, are now fridged. Tomorrow the tank will get a good scrub out, and everything in it sterilised. Also looked up a herp vet incase there's no improvement. Much appreciated!

hello there again...
I've completely sterilised the tank and decor, and am giving my axies regular salt baths -- I've contacted every vet in a 100km radius and NONE OF THEM were familiar with anchorworm, let alone how to treat an axolotl. So if anyone else out there has gone through anchorworm, and consulted a vet, I'd love to know the advice you were given! Not that I don't trust the advice of the more knowledgeable members of this forum, but without access to Dimilin or expert advice on dosage rates, I'm hesitant to try anything. Anyone had success in beating this before?

You should be able to find Dimilin in stores that cater to garden ponds, or at online shops.

If you need to consult with an vet in AU, here is a list:
Herp Vets in Australia

Good luck!

hi lissy

where abouts in Aust do you live???i know of a vet in (mt gravatt)brisbane that treats axies.

lea

Victoria. I rang the vet closest to me from the list of herp vets on this site... and she retired 4 years ago.

hi lissy

sorry i dont know any vets in vic...you could ring around to all the vets and maybe one might be able to help...i hope everything goes ok

lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back