Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Chlorine poisoning

KT

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm desperately hoping someone can help me out. My female (2 years old) is very sick from chlorine. My partner bought what he thought was conditioner to eliminate the chlorine... but it was a conditioner that added salts and minerals (mind you this is what the person at the pet shop handed him!). The next day the tank smelt like a pool and my axies (male and female) were barely moving. After a stint in the fridge, fixing the water and apparent full recovery. My axies went back into their tank.

The male has fully recovered however after a few days the female was acting strangely and I noticed that her gills had lost some of their feathery bits. She went straight back in the fridge and one of her gills fell off! I have not been able to find anything on the net to help me to figure out what to do next?

She has lost some more feathery bits and it has grown back on some parts... she has also begun to get fungus on her gills and on the end of a couple of her toes... I know this is bad as it happened to a lot of the baby axies I had just before they died (N.B.I did manage to raise some... the one I kept... Yoshi, is about a year old now!)

Should I salt bath her? I'm lost for ideas and I really don't want to loose her!!!

melfly

Reaction score
If its definately fungus i would salt bath.
Sounds like she's on the way to recovery, sort out the fungus and i think she'll be fine.

Mel

BBJ

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Are you sure that this is caused by chlorine?
Does your tapwater contain so much chlorine that it smell like a pool?

You should always prepare the water for water changes, before putting it into the tank (ie put it in a bucket with some dechlorinator and wait for a few hours).

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what happened? Did you change the water and then added the salt and minerals conditioner(i guess the stuff you use for goldfish or maybe saltwater tanks)?
Im sure adding a few drops of this stuff would not have radical effects such as you described.

I suspect there might be other causes of their illness, perhaps if you could provide a bit more information (tank size, temperature, water parameters ect) we could better assist you.

Regards Bjorn

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!