Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many have more than one Axolotl in their tank?

Jackie Stone

Reaction score
Just wondered how many adult Axolotls you all have in your large tanks,just curious to see what others have?Thanks Jackie:happy:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi, I think that truly depends on the size of the tank. I have seen as few as 1 and as many as 5. I personally have 2 adults sharing a 55 gal (sorry don't know metric system well enough) and four 2" juvies sharing a 20 gal. However, once they start growing, I plan on splitting them up to allow them more room - no desires for cannibalism. Interesting question, don't know why more haven't responded. How many do you have? Take care!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 adult males in one tank, which has lots of places to hide and lots of plants. They generally get on well, they do occasionally nip each other if I am sloppy at feed time, but the worst injuries are lost tail tips or the odd gill tip.

Jackie Stone

Reaction score
I have just 3 tiny babies,I hope they will all grow to be strong adults,I plan to get a huge tank for them one day:happy:

shoegal

Reaction score
The rule that I hear over and over again is 1 adult axolotl per 10 gallons of water.

I have a breeding pair in a well planted 20 gallon long tank.

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive got 4 ina 4 1/2 foot tank one is two years onl and the others are older juv 1 year +, plently of plants and tubes for them to hide in, they are all female as i seperate my tanks by sex ;)

gary123

Reaction score
I have 3 adults in a 5ft by 4.2 ft tank, they have 6 hides, well planted, and have about 10 river shrimp in there with them, that the axolotls are supposed to eat, but nope the shrimp have been there for about 2 months, and growing nicely lol, the shrimp and the axolotls, all come out of their hides and line up to get fed, at feeding time.

Truffs

Reaction score
I have 2 axies, 1 wild type 1 golden albino, in a 3ft tank - i've only had them 2 weeks and dont know what sex they are yet (they are each about 7inches long and both look the same 'under the tail' at the moment) they were kept together by their previous owner and so far i've not had any problems with them living together, no nipping or anything yet :happy:

vladimere

Reaction score
hi i have two males i think one im sure of and two females all are adults the tank is 3 foot by 2 foot

saxolotl

Reaction score
We have 1 adult and two juvies, not sure about sex yet. They look confortable in a 25 gallon tank, plenty of plastic plants

optimist

Reaction score
I have 3 adults in a 3ft x 2ft tank (in 2 ft of water). Lots of hides and they never nip each other.

vladimere

Reaction score
looks like i might hve only three left after fridging my male i hve to take him to the vet now as he is geting worse..... tried just bout everything with him

axiegaz

Reaction score
i have 2 sub adults (both between 9.5 to 10.5 inches) in a W36"xD14"xH16" tank

vladimere

Reaction score
Had to get a new bigger tank today the mrs went out to get fish food for her goldies and fell in love with a golden albino so now the toll is five ...... hopefully they all get on as its in another tank frist

Lovely Axies

Reaction score
i have two in a 54L tank, they are roughly 10months old, very cute, I was wondering if you could help me with some issues I've had, Please go to my page and view my threads on the health of them.

Thanks in advance,

Lexii

esoteric

Reaction score
2 x 1 year old, leucistic females @ 20cm (8") ,
1 x 18 month old, golden albino female @ 23cm (9")
1 x 18 month old, wild type male @ 25cm (10")
74 Gallon tank filled to the top (89 US Gallons).
121cm long, 45cm deep (front to back) and 60cm tall (48"x18"x24")
Sand substrate with rocky decor and hides
Regular spot cleaning, weekly 15% water change

I started off with 2 x 15cm (6") axolotls in a 60cm, 19 Gallon tank. (24", 23 US Gallon)

Even when they got to about 23cm (9") they seemed to have plenty of room and when I moved them to a 90cm (36") tank, I felt it was more out of choice than necessity.

I thought the new tank looked practically empty and decided to get another couple of axolotls. (Thanks Melfly) I quarantined them for about 5 weeks before introducing them to the 90cm tank. I then used a glass divider giving about 1/3rd of the tank to my new juvies and only removed the divider once I was confident they wouldn't get bullied.

There was so much space once the divider was removed. All 4 axolotls spent quite a bit of time huddled together in various parts of the tank, it seemed wherever Mike was, the rest wanted to be too.

So, after about 6 months of blissful existence, my axolotl family were growing up and there still seemed to be so much room in their tank. This really gave the impression that you could happily house a few more axolotls in with them. However, it's not just about floor space is it?

There was something not quite right. My water parameters were all good, except pH, which began to decrease by about the 5th day after each water change. I started doing 10% water changes every 3 or 4 days rather than 15% every week and things were fine. I carried out a few control experiments, monitoring containers of standing water, water and sand, water and rocks and then repeated this using water and dechlorinator - just to eliminate these things from my enquiries; everything was normal so I'm really non the wiser. Though I do still wonder if there's a link between big juicy earthworms, humic acid and axolotl waste?

Anyway, I was sure that the increase in acidity was probably a precurser to a complete collapse of the axolotls' ecosystem. My 90cm x 30cm x 40cm might have looked more than adequate but in reallity, it only had a little over 4 Imperial Gallons more capacity than the 60cm tank...my axolotl family had literally out-grown their home. The juveniles might have only grown 7cm longer, but they were easilly twice the size they were when I put them in the tank and the other 2 had grown considerably too. If I hadn't been keeping a fastidious eye on water parameters and if the acidity in the tank had been left unchecked, there could have been a catastrophe.

The guys have now been in their bigger home for a few weeks and, fingers crossed, it's all going well with no deviation from optimal water parameters. I have to say the tank looks like it could hold a few more axolotls but looks are deceptive right?

I do plan on keeping 4 or 5 of the babies I'm rearing at the moment and I think, once they get big enough, I might add a couple of them (making 6 ) to the 74 Gallon tank (89 US Gallon). When I do, you can be sure I'll be keeping a close watch on my water chemistry.

By the way, I used THIS online calculator to work out how many gallons my tank held and to convert real UK Imperial Gallons to girly little US Gallons. :D

wendyatk

Reaction score
We have just one in a 2ft tank who is about 6 month old. But the axie bug is getting to us - we are hoping to get a bigger tank and set up and then who knows!!!! lol.

Shannon said they were addictive lol:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1