Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Very unhappy axie

Hoonette

Reaction score
Hiya!

One of our axies had his foot bitten off up to the elbow and a small chunk taken out of his dorsal fin. We separated the two and have him in a smaller 'quarantine' tank.

We've dosed him with Methylene Blue at correct dose rate on bottle for the amount of water he has - with a water change every 3 days when re-dose is due. The dead flesh has fallen away but he doesn't seem to be improving at all, if anything his back has been getting worse. He has gone off his food to the point that we don't think he has eaten for over 2 weeks.

We've tried the turtle cubes he was eating in the other tank, blood worms (which just make a mess as they are the size for fighter fish!!) and axolotl pellets.

There is no substrate in the small tank, he does have a hidey log though doesn't use it. We've been keeping the water as cool as possible (around 12 - 14deg C) due reading that they heal better when cool.

Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia all nil, pH in around 6.9 after a water change this morning.

Will put some photos here so you can have a look. Hopefully someone can help us as we are at our wits end trying to help this little fellow and he just seems to be fading away. His brother on the other hand is thriving. :confused:

P220210_1031.jpg

P150310_1134.jpg

P150310_113401.jpg

P150310_113701.jpg

lea

Reaction score
hi hoonette

i think you might have to put your axie in the fridge for a holiday.....it helps them de stress....the medication you are using im not sure about but i now you have to be very careful with what you put in the tank because the axie skin is very sensitive....i would do treatments in a different container and then return him to his tank ready to relax.....make sure your tank is clean, cool and the parameters are ok and this will help fight fungus and the nasty stuff.....earthworms are the best food for axie and the bloodworms and other stuff is good for a treat.......a wiggly worm might be enough to get him thinking about food again......

i hope he is ok
lea

Hoonette

Reaction score
i think you might have to put your axie in the fridge for a holiday.....it helps them de stress....

Our fridge gets a bit too cold - I put a thermometer in there to check before we began doing the ice bottle thing which I have done with fish before.

the medication you are using im not sure about but i now you have to be very careful with what you put in the tank because the axie skin is very sensitive....

The methylene blue is what is recommended on this site and by the only pet store we have found that seems to know even the slightest thing about axolotls. We've also put a half dose of Melafix in on occasion too - I know its not the greatest for them but again, is mentioned on this site as safe. I'd never dose him with fish stuff and we did a salt bath when the wounds first happened.

i would do treatments in a different container and then return him to his tank ready to relax.....make sure your tank is clean, cool and the parameters are ok and this will help fight fungus and the nasty stuff.....earthworms are the best food for axie and the bloodworms and other stuff is good for a treat.......a wiggly worm might be enough to get him thinking about food again......

Will try and find some larger worms for him to try. Are they only carnivores or can he have vegetarian stuff too? I have algae wafers for the fish and do give them (the fish) the odd bit of fruit and veg from time to time, maybe there is something that might tempt him that we have readily available. Doesn't seem to want beef mince any more than the turtle cube or pellets.

i hope he is ok So do we, he has us really worried at the moment.

shoegal

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your little guy! His tail looks like it is in rough shape. : (

I believe axies are carnivores, so I don't think he will find an algae wafer or fruit appealing in the least.

I think fridging is an excellent idea. This site has very specific details on the proper way to do it. He needs to be in a stress-free environment with cool, clean water, so he can start to recover.

I would not recommend relying on your local fish store for any sort of advice. I think this site and www.axolotl.org are the best resources.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on his progress.

Hoonette

Reaction score
He is now in the fridge. Just have to remember he is there!!

They were in a 2.5' tank, more than twice the size of the tank they were in when we bought them. Probably not big enough for 2 but the only thing we can do for now. They had 2 logs to hide in and room to move around, filter, large stones as substrate, large particles sucked out every second day, proper water change once a week.

He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time I think.

lea

Reaction score
hoonette
im sure he will enjoy his cold break.....you could always put a worm in the container with him and he can have a nibble if he likes but you have to take it out after a while otherwise it will spoil the water......also remember you have to do 100% water changes daily while he is holidaying.....i put another container in the fridge beside my axie so when i did the water change the water was the same temp as the water he is already in.....
good luck with it all
lea

Velaria

Reaction score
You call that a small chunk?

I don't know much about methylene blue, but I *believe* it's used to kill fungus. Your axie is not in danger of developing a fungal infection; he's in danger of developing a bacterial infection. You need to make sure that that doesn't happen.

I wouldn't even worry about his appetite right now. Fridged axies can live without food for a whole month, because it slows their metabolism down to such an extent.

I say keep him in the fridge, keep him clean, do salt baths to kill any bacteria that may be there, and then in maybe 1-2 weeks, when his wounds look like they're healing, offer him some food. If he's not interested in the food, then take him out of the fridge for a few hours so that he can warm up, because then, he'll probably be interested in the food.

After that, put him back in the fridge until you're sure that he's on the road to recuperation.

melfly

Reaction score
Thats a really nasty would!! I'm surprised another axolotl could do that much damage!
I would stop using anything on your axies unless your told to by a vet.
Axies heal amazingly well and you only need to be worried about fungus. And if this occurs a simple course of salt bathing is all you need.

I would not attempt salt baths unless he has a definate case of fungus. Salt would hurt your axie with the wounds being so raw.

I think i remember the vet on here advising against melafix. I dont use any chemicals with my axolotls except dechlorinator.

You need to get a bigger tank really 2.5 foot is a bit small. 3 foot should be ok for your two.

Mel

Hoonette

Reaction score
It was a small chunk when it first happened, it has gotten worse over the last 2 weeks or so. He's now been in the fridge for 3 days with daily water changes.

How long do you all suggest he stays there - until visible signs of healing or is there a maximum time frame?? I know you said he'll be OK with no food but, I'm going to get some meal worms tomorrow as an acquaintance said that they love meal worms and he hadn't eaten for quite a while before he went into the fridge.

We do plan on a bigger tank for them but have to wait until other home renovations are done so that we have a place to put it. Will be in the 4' then.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Hoonette,

You could leave him in the fridge for 7 days or so, Its a good idea to try and feed whilst fridging just make sure you remove any waste and don't be suprised if hes not interested cold temperatures slow the metabolism.

Good luck

BBJ

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would leave him in the fridge for however long it takes before there is visible improvement to the wounds. There is virtually no limit to how long an Axolotl can stay in the fridge as long as you are dilligent with the daily water changes.

I would try and offer him an earthworm once a week or so, just leave it in the fridge with him for a day or two, if not gone by then take it out and repeat the process a few days later.
While he can manage extended periods of not eating quite well, the nutrition would most definitely help him in the healing process.

Hope he recovers!

Regards Bjorn

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!