New Axolotls

ghogg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first two Axolotls, and their new home!

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

DSC00154.JPG

DSC00149.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00156.JPG

That was a 30l tank I had cycling before I bought them. The big tank was bought at the same time as the axies so they went in the small tank for a while.

Ooo I bet they're loving all that room.

Nice tank. Well done.

Is your wild female?

Mel

Yes, I think that's right, the albino is male and the wild type is female. Not sure how old they are but the toes haven't changed colour so guessing they haven't reached maturity yet. Didn't pick out a breeding pair, they only had 2 in the shop in my area. They seem to be settling in well and they are amazing, love sitting watching them!

Because the male is so obviously male i would think they had reached sexual maturity.
Keep an eye out for spermatophores!! You could be an Axolotl grandparent soon!
Lol

Mel

Between that tank, chiller, and filter...you have already spent a pretty penny for your little ones...glad to see someone who understands that Axolotls are NOT cheap to care for. I assume those speakers are used to play soothing sounds of the Lake Xochimilco region, making the Axies feel more at home.

Also..what is that plant on the right that extends to the top of the water?

Sorry not sure what the plant is, some sort of cold water fern the shop suggested. Looking at pictures online, I think it is Elodea Densa . There are three types of plants in there, 2 planted in the rocks and sand, and one floating.
I was a bit concerned at first about the placement near to a speaker but they do not appear to be bothered by it at all. Or am I just not noticing any distress?
And yeah, it hasn't been cheap which I didn't really factor in when I bought them but they are more than worth it! When I realised the room was too warm to keep the tank cool enough for the axies I had to do something about it. I know there are more low tech, cheaper methods, but I like the piece of mind the chiller provides.
Thank you all for your comments, they are appreciated.

Last edited:
If the music is blaring, I'm sure they would easily sense the vibrations in the water, but if you keep your music at a reasonable level, I don't think it would be an issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back