Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

300 million-year-old salamander fossil found in Pennsylvania

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Philadelphia Inquirer (AP), March 17th, 2010

PITTSBURGH - A fossilized skull found by a former University of Pittsburgh geology student on Pennsylvania land owned by Federal Express is that of a carnivorous amphibian that some scientists believe predates dinosaurs, officials at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History said.

David Berman, a curator of vertebrate paleontology at the museum, said the fossil was about 300 million years old.

It has been named Fedexia striegeli after the place where it was found and the last name of the man who found it - Adam Striegel.

Striegel, now a second-grade teacher in Rockville, Md., was a senior at Pitt when he found the fossil during a 2004 field trip on the tract near Pittsburgh International Airport, about 10 miles west of the city.

"I honestly just reached down and picked up a rock," Striegel said. "I wish there was something more amazing about it. The professor had just said we might find something there and most likely we would find plant fossils."

Berman said he got permission to keep the fossil from FedEx. The museum is making casts of the skull to give back to the company.

The fossil is the first found in Western Pennsylvania of a newly discovered family of amphibians known as Trematopidae.

Berman discovered a similar fossil in New Mexico, while another has been found in Kansas.

The five-inch skull suggests an animal about two feet long that looked like a giant salamander. Its relatively large, canine-like teeth suggest it ate smaller amphibians and insects, Berman said.

Pitt student finds 300 million-year-old fossil | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/17/2010

Nathan

Reaction score
Very cool! I feel I should point out that this animal is not a salamander; it belongs to an ancient group called the temnospondyls, which are not closely related to any living vertebrates.

pete

Reaction score

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, this fossil is not my father, nor in any way related to me.:p

Finds like this interest me to no end. As a former Pennsylvanian, fossils have always fascinated me. Caudate fossils even more so now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1