The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 22nd March 2010   #1
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Paramesotriton chinensis eggs

Today is feeding day, and guess who I caught laying eggs? This is a new species for me; I've never raised them before. I bought them 1 1/2 or 2 years ago (don't remember exactly) at the petstore when they arrived; I hadn't seen this species offered for sale for a while, and was thrilled that they turned out to be male and female. And now I'm even more thrilled! Their names are "Beauty" and "the Beast," here is Beauty with her burgeoning brood:

I will be following their progress in this thread.
Just for the sake of completeness, here is another recent mention of this magnificent pair:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gene...tml#post205899
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pchinensis eggs (1)sm.JPG
Views:	761
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	9748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pchinensis eggs (2)sm.JPG
Views:	672
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	9749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pchinensis eggssm.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	9750  

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog

Last edited by Otterwoman; 23rd March 2010 at 13:26.
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010   #2
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Paramesotriton chinensis eggs

Congratulations Dawn. The tail of one of my males has turned blue but I have not noticed any signs of courtship yet.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010   #3
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Nice!
P.chinensis is not commonly bred in captivity, so this is good news n_n
Best of lucks raising them, Dawn, the larvae sure are cute!!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
P.chinensis is not commonly bred in captivity
I know! Though I believe Audrey did it last year. But when I bought them, I was hoping for this, because their scarcity in the pet stores as of late made me think they were dwindling in the wild.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 22nd March 2010   #5
Peraka
(PereJosa)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 29
Rep: PereJosa has given consistently good advice and informationPereJosa has given consistently good advice and informationPereJosa has given consistently good advice and information

Congratulations otterwoman!! thanks for post eggs photos ( no more pictures of this newt's eggs).

I have one pair, not breed at the moment, the male show blue tail, and courtship behaviour in different moments of the year, but one week ago for first time i see one amplexus . This day's i look for eggs, but at the moment anything....

Bye!!

Old 23rd March 2010   #6
Janusz Wierzbicki
(Yahilles)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Congratulations!

Quote:
i see one amplexus
But there are no amplexus in Paramesotriton... but as i remember, on Paul's photo Azhael mistakened P. deloustali biting with amplexus similiar to that occuring in breeding Calotriton.

Old 23rd March 2010   #7
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

If anyone who raised them in the past has some tips, I have some questions, like:
do they have a terrestrial phase or can they be raised completely aquatically to adult?

Old 23rd March 2010   #8
Janusz Wierzbicki
(Yahilles)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
do they have a terrestrial phase or can they be raised completely aquatically to adult?
I haven't raised them, but as far i see by the older posts of breeders, it's most likely impossible to skip the terrestial stage.

Old 23rd March 2010   #9
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahilles View Post
Congratulations!

But there are no amplexus in Paramesotriton... but as i remember, on Paul's photo Azhael mistakened P. deloustali biting with amplexus similiar to that occuring in breeding Calotriton.
Well, in my defence, just look at the photo, it looks just the same. And i said it looked like the amplexus of Calotriton..not that Paramesotriton has any amplexus...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.

Last edited by Azhael; 23rd March 2010 at 14:21.
Old 13th April 2010   #10
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

I am sorry to report that they all fuzzled out. (Get the pun?)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pchinensis eggssm.JPG
Views:	1044
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	9975  

Old 22nd April 2010   #11
Encompassky

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Encompassky is an unknown quantity at this point

All of them?! I'm so sorry! ;_;

Encompassky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010   #12
Christiano
(VolatileXIII)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 8
Rep: VolatileXIII is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuzzled out? As in died?!
That sucks.

VolatileXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010   #13
Alyssa
(misslyss)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: misslyss has given good advice and informationmisslyss has given good advice and informationmisslyss has given good advice and information
Unhappy Re: Paramesotriton chinensis eggs

Aw thats too bad. I have the same species. We were rooting for ya! Better luck with the next batch

misslyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010   #14
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Default Re: Raising Juvenile C.orientalis-Caresheet

EDIT: 8/5/10: I began writing about these animals in the moderator section, where it didn't really belong, and have moved these posts out of the mod development co care sheet thread and put them in this thread so that we can all read them. What happened was, I also had Cynops orientalis eggs, which I added to the Parameso egg tank, because I thought all those eggs had died, and I needed an egg tank quick.
When they began to morph, I soon learned that I had a mix of BOTH species in this tank--there are pc and co morphs coming out.

Here's my first morph. I thought it was a co, but the moderators corrected me that it is a pc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FirstCOmorph (1)sm.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	11118   Click image for larger version

Name:	FirstCOmorphsm.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	11119  

Last edited by Otterwoman; 5th August 2010 at 08:20.
Old 11th July 2010   #15
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Iīm terribly confused Dawn, that cute little fella doesnīt look like a C.orientalis, that looks like some species of Paramesotriton.

Non Timetis Messor.

Last edited by Azhael; 11th July 2010 at 20:27.
Old 11th July 2010   #16
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

They came from the co eggs, I'm sure of it! Though I did have some param. chinensis eggs that all got moldy, they were in a different tank. Though mess-ups have happened here before, like when I found the T gran morph in the I alpestris tank. But I'm sure they were from the co tank! Do you have a pic of a co morph?
Here's a co morph, it looks just like this:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachm...c03541edit.jpg

from this thread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...s-project.html

If it's by some chance the p. chinensis, should I keep it terrestrial, and if so, for how long?

Last edited by Otterwoman; 11th July 2010 at 22:24.
Old 11th July 2010   #17
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

The belly pattern is all wrong for C.orientalis. Also, C.orientalis has a partially red cloaca...only about a third or a quarter of it is black. Iīm convinced that one is a Paramesotriton. From a dorsal point of view, morphs of both species are remarkably similar, though, itīs very easy to mistake them. As they develop, the differences become more and more noticiable.
I canīt take a photo right now, but i promise i will tomorrow.

Keep it terrestrial, wether itīs Cynops or Paramesotriton, itīs a safe method. If it is indeed Paramesotriton, it will take a long time to go aquatic again, possibly years.

Non Timetis Messor.

Last edited by Azhael; 11th July 2010 at 22:35.
Old 11th July 2010   #18
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Did you get a close look at the larva before it morphed, Dawn? Larvae from Paramesos look very distinctive and unlike Cynops - I don't have time to explain, but you should look up some photos.

Old 11th July 2010   #19
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thatīs a very good point. The larvae are really quite different. If you upload photos of the remaining larvae, iīm sure weīll be able to tell the difference, no problem. Perhaps you do have both species.

Non Timetis Messor.

Last edited by Azhael; 11th July 2010 at 23:07.
Old 12th July 2010   #20
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here, Dawn, as promised.
You can see that the belly pattern is different (there is of course wide variability in belly patterns among C.orientalis, but some basics are always there).
You can also see what i was saying about the cloaca. Itīs red with a black end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1070760.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	11135  

Non Timetis Messor.