International Amphibian Days Timonium Md. Sept. 18,19 2010

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
International Amphibian Days will be held at the Maryland State Fair Ground Sept. 18 & 19 2010. I.A.D. will be a part of the Mid Atlantic Reptile show this year. This has recently been approved by the M.A.R.S. committee.

More news to follow as details are fleshed out.

I wish they would be honest and just rename it American Dart Frog days. "International" and "amphibian" are very misleading.

They almost always have speakers on caudates. They flew Hank Walleys over twice. They flew Marc S. over. Often we have speakers and visitors from South America. Ed Kowaski did a talk on Caecilians. Dante Fenalio did a talk on cave salamander research. Dick Bartlett gave a talk that had a lot of salamanders in it. Their are always c.b. caudates for sale at IAD. A couple years their were two tables of caudates for sale. The majority of amphibian keepers do focus on dart frogs but caudates have always been represented at IAD. One year they even had a salamander field trip to Camp David.

The year that I attended, I would say caudates were represented by a fraction of attendees that at least equaled our fraction of the amphibian hobby. Yes, caudates were the minority, but we are the minority in terms of overall number of people interested in amphibians. That's the way it is.:rolleyes: I'm glad they found a way to revive IAD, even if it's tacked onto a reptile event. It was a pretty small event, so maybe this makes sense.

I think that it is an excellent idea tacking it on to a large event like the MARS show. Now I am faced with a huge dilemma. I was planning on attending the Daytona show this year but now I am torn. The two events are too close together for me to go to both so now I have to choose.
Chip

Hi Chip,
If you are going to sell animals and see a variety you will probably see and sell more at Daytona. If you are going to see amphibians and listen to amphibian experts you will probably see and hear more at IAD. I'm hoping the publicity for IAD is up and running soon. I was disappointed the year the Hellbender expert spoke at IAD but they couldn't confirm he was coming till the last minute.

I am actually leaning toward MD at this point. It is only half the driving time compared to Daytona and in any case I have decided to hold off on selling at shows this year - I am going to take the advice of yourself and others and sell online first and then maybe look at setting up at shows next year. Even though Daytona is a blast I have not been to a MARS show in about 14 years and IAD is always fun (even though John has an excellent point about the dart frogs).
Chip

Ed Smith from the Amazonia exhibit at the Smithonian institute stopped by the other week. He is on the committee for the IAD part of the MARS show. The speaker line up for Friday is being finalized. The IAD talks will be after the Reptiles Magazine icebreaker on Friday night. Saturday and Sunday all day will be the reptile show with a big section set aside for amphibians. Saturday evening will be the MARS benefit auction.

The show will be quite a bit different than the old IAD shows. It will be more well rounded since the amphibian section will be part of a larger all captive bred reptile show. Their will be a larger selection of supplies and larger variety of animals than at the old IAD show. As typical of other shows the salamander section will be small. I would say that their will be more captive bred salamanders for sale at IAD than any other amphibian show in the U.S. that I am aware of.

I would say that their will be more captive bred salamanders for sale at IAD than any other amphibian show in the U.S. that I am aware of.
That wouldn't be hard.

Over the years I've seen at least 4 different salamander breeders with tables at IAD. One year their were 3 breeders and 1 came from England. My guess is the only salamander table at this years IAD will be Above Average Amphibians (Me). IAD is no longer the only amphibian show around. Their are lots more reptile shows than their used to be. In my opinion it's worth diving across a couple states to go to. It ain't what it used to be but it's something.

Other than lodging and airfare, does it cost anything to go? Is there an age minimum?

One year their were 3 breeders and 1 came from England.
Would that happen to be Marc Staniszewski? I would try to forget that if I were you.

Other than lodging and airfare, does it cost anything to go? Is there an age minimum?

Check the link earlier in this thread. I think their is a per day charge or a per week end charge. Their is no age limit. The kid up the street from me went to IAD when he was 12 years old. He is now doing research on Dendrobates Pumilio and working on his doctorate at Tulane.

It is a good show. Their are good tourist spots near by. I'm not sure I would fly across the country just for the show.

I saw Tim Hoen yesterday. He told me Robert Hill from Atlanta Botanical Garden will be one of the IAD speakers. He said Robert will be talking about salamanders. More info to follow.

Robert is a member here actually.

I am working on getting my weekend to work switched around. I really want to go this year.
Chip

Hi Mike,

Is this information posted publicly anywhere? I could not find a current website for IAD and what very little we have heard has been bits and pieces we've gleaned from threads here and there. We have never been approached to vend at IAD and did not know if it was even pulled together until reading this. Other than forum threads by those "in the know", where are the details being promoted?

Richard

MARS: The Mid-Atlantic Reptile Show and MARS Preservation Fund, Inc

MARS: The Mid-Atlantic Reptile Show and MARS Preservation Fund, Inc

Tim Hoen is in charge of the MARS part. Sean Stewart is in charge of the IAD part. The IAD part will be the Friday night lectures and the section of amphibian tables. I think they are planning to put the amphibians in one area. I don't have strong feelings on that either way. If I were selling c.b. darts I might not be to keen on being between two other people selling exactly the same thing. If you are interesting in vending talk to Tim.

Hi Mike,

Is this information posted publicly anywhere? I could not find a current website for IAD and what very little we have heard has been bits and pieces we've gleaned from threads here and there. We have never been approached to vend at IAD and did not know if it was even pulled together until reading this. Other than forum threads by those "in the know", where are the details being promoted?

Richard

Some adds have gone out. The show is being promoted a little bit on Caudata.org and quite a bit on dendroboard. It looks like about 7 or 8 amphibian breeders have signed up. Of course their will be lots of snake and lizard vendors. All in all it should be a good show. Their is always a good crowd for the Mid Atlantic Reptile Show. The IAD part is a little more of a secret than it should be. If you want to know where the show is being promoted ask Dr. Sean Stewart or Tim Hoen. Tim told me he'd love to see Black Jungle do the show.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back