Luck in the mud

pierson_hill

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pierson Hill
I do a lot of digging around for salamanders in the eastern panhandle of FL and I've had luck finding most of the species with relative consistency. However, one species has been a monkey on my back for almost 5 years now. It started in 2005 when I was an undergad in the NC Piedmont surveying a variety of stream sheds for their salamander communities. Pseudotrition ruber were relatively common at most sites with minimal disturbance and I grew pretty familiar with their larvae. I then began catching Pseudotriton larvae in some of the lower areas approaching floodplain river swamp streams that didn't quite look right. I was almost able to convince myself they were montanus but was never able to substantiate it by finding an adult at those locations, despite many concerted searches (I even turned up a county record Gyrinophilus in the process!). It wasn't until several months after I graduated that others involved in the study began catching adults in funnel traps at the sites where I was finding the suspect larvae....

Skip forward to Fall 2009, past many seasons in north Florida of flipping logs in muddy seeps, digging through mud packs, chasing old records, and dipnetting sloughs with only 2 small larval P. m. floridanus to show for my efforts. This subspecies is very secretive and rarely encountered, especially as adults. As 2009 deepened into fall, I knew my probabilities of seeing this species would spike during their Oct-Nov breeding season. A group of us made a concerted effort in some good looking territory one weekend, but we only came up with a single larvae while netting some leaf packs.

4131816307_e30ac4fd83_o.jpg

Larval P. m. floridanus

4132924915_212eae0d65_o.jpg

There was enough interesting bycatch that not all was lost.

3191416588_1b279114c3_o.jpg

Necturus "lodingi"

4123378998_4cd0fac09b_o.jpg

Eurycea cirrigera

4122607713_50271b726d_o.jpg

Notophthalmus viridescens louisianensis eft.

4109277392_104bb60ab9_o.jpg

Eurycea guttolineata

The next weekend while I was in SC, two buddies returned to one of our previous sites and found this:

4109748363_5aaa6e249d_o.jpg

An awesome little metamorph floridanus.

4110512162_286182886f_o.jpg

Meanwhile, all I was catching in SC were Eurycea quadridigitata (Dwarf Salamanders) and a random assortment of the usuals for that area...

4133823992_970a3c65a2_o.jpg

Stereochilus marginatus

4113264211_001f35d8ca_o.jpg

Interestingly, I flipped an aseasonal gravid A. mabeei amongst a slew of A. opacum.

4113264407_e30ee4f81d_o.jpg

4108512517_65a7091c0f_o.jpg

Lots of these!

Fortunately,a friend hooked me up BIG TIME with some tips on how to see the nominate P. montanus in the SC piedmont, and I had some luck on my way back to Florida.

4153948362_2ccdc2ba5a_o.jpg

Under the log in the foreground, I found 2 E guttolineta, 3 Desmognathus, a Rana clamitans, and this...

4107006561_cce8a00df2_o.jpg

4109295554_d6b206f2bf_o.jpg

So the monkey on my back had been throttled!...well, sort of. Although finding a SC Eastern Mud Salamander was awesome, I still needed to see the Rusty Mud Salamander which apparently could be found within a few minutes drive of my house. So back in FL the next weekend, I went straight back to the spot where my buddies had found the metamorph floridanus to see if I could replicate their success.

The habitat consists of a riparian floodplain swamp created by a steephead stream flowing out of a sandhill upland. Where the steephead stream hit the floodplain of the river, it fanned out into a series of sloughs and pools with thick soupy mud and deep leaf packs.

4122801805_7ccc10c1dd_o.jpg

4122607969_ec98311e68_o.jpg

After a few minutes of targeted searching...Booyah! I uncovered a large gravid female sheltering in the entrance of a crayfish burrow.

4122530731_f74fc7e485_o.jpg

4122530877_d7cf920f7d_o.jpg

4122530789_13419401f9_o.jpg

Since then, I've made several return trips to that locale and have had luck finding Rusty Mud Salamanders every time, with the last encounter on 3-17-10. Here are an assortment of the individuals I've seen.

4162524221_70cf14c906_o.jpg

Subadult/recent metamorph.

4271755625_caa6fd17a5_o.jpg

Adult male.

4443192933_46594156df_o.jpg

Big adult female.

4441609239_f095baae85_o.jpg

4442379654_9808fe2311_o.jpg

So, after years of fruitless searching, my efforts were finally rewarded and then some. Thanks for looking!

What a privilege to be the one to approve this thread! Really really great pics, Pierson.

Absolutely gorgeous!
The penultimate picture is just perfect...i´d love to have that picture as my wallpaper!

Last edited:
Is it not the best way to differentiate between Pseudotriton larvae the blotching patterns on the side? That is what I use...

I have yet to see a P. montanus adult up here, maybe this year.

Thank you for sharing!

Pierson, I love your posts! Your photography is fabulous, and your descriptions are awesome as well.

This thread is a joy to the eyeballs!

Next year's calendar competition is looming, Pierson. If you don't enter some of these I will cry into my tea.:cry:

Your phots are amazing, and what a great salamandering story! Thanks so much for sharing :happy:

Stunning, absolutely stunning.
Great photos.

Beautiful shots and beautiful salamanders! Congrats on your victory.

I always see a lot of your photos in the Salamanders and Caecilians group on Flickr. They're always a pleasure to my eyes!

Pierson...neat post and great photography......

Travis

This is just an amazing journal, it inspired me to do a bit of 'hunting' myself. :] Gorgeous photography.

Many thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm glad I could contribute.

What's this about a calendar?

Many thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm glad I could contribute.

What's this about a calendar?
Oh my - you are not aware? Each year we have a photo competition for the Caudata.org calander where best pix are judged and selected to be placed in the calendar. The calendar is sold through the Caudata.org Store and winners receive a year's donor status for participating. See here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen.../64829-2010-calendar-competition-winners.html

I sense a potential higher bar being set??

Man, why did you tell him about the calendar? Now I definitely don't have a chance...

Pierson has the "eye" for excellent photos, as well as the skills to take them. I've got the skills and the know how, but I really have to work hard to make up for not having much of an "eye".

So those of us who only know how to puss the button and hope for the best just better go cry to our mums....xD

the creature in the first two pictures; is it kind of like an axolotl? do people keep them as pets?

Beautiful and stunning pictures for sure.. Great work keep up the great work!:>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back