Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New 47 gallon tank - advice needed!

elcaptano

Reaction score
I've got a 180 litre tank that's currently being used for tropical fish but they are about to get moved to another tank to make room for a couple axolotls.
i've never kept an axolotl before so have a few questions i'd appreciate some help with...

firstly, is a 180l tank big enough for two or would i be better to get one?

what type of filter would work best and are there any specific brands or models i should look out for?

i was planning to use large gravel or small pebbles but i've seen some info on the web that advises using either this or sand.

any other advice for a novice?

i'm waiting for a book to get delivered but i'd appreciate some different points of view and advice from anyone who can help.

thanks

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
firstly, is a 180l tank big enough for two or would i be better to get one?

180L is great for 2 Axolotls, they will have lots of room!

what type of filter would work best and are there any specific brands or models i should look out for?
You will want an external canister filter. This type of filter is easiest to maintain while also being most effective at keeping water clean and healthy. The 2 best brands out there (in my opinion) are Fluval and Eheim. I personally have a Fluval, and I love the filter. For a tank your size, the Fluval 205 or Fluval 305 would be suitable.

i was planning to use large gravel or small pebbles but i've seen some info on the web that advises using either this or sand.

any other advice for a novice?

For a novice you have 3 options.
1) Sand. Most people swear by it. Easy to clean, no worrying about anything being swallowed (like small gravel), and looks good.
2) Bare bottom. Even easier to clean, but doesn't look as good as sand.
3) Slate bottom. As easy as barebottom to clean, but harder to aquascape your tank (can't root plants in bottom and whatnot)

I hope this helps, sounds like you are more than ready to care for an Axie!

thanks

elcaptano

Reaction score
thanks very much for the tips, once i get everything up and running i'll post a picture to let you see how it turns out (hopefully in the next couple weeks).

cheers.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m one of those crazy guys who swear by sand xD Just don´t have a layer thicker than an inch and you´ll be safe.

Since you are a newcomer i think i´d better say, are you familiar with cycling? You can read about it on the CC articles (link in my signature). Read as much as you can before getting the axolotls, that way you´ll be ready for any eventualities.

elcaptano

Reaction score
thanks for the tip, i am familiar to an extent as i done this when i first got my fish, but probably didn't prepare the tank enough, i'll make sure and do it right this time - the link to the articles was a big help!

i was also reading up on different types of food for them, but there seems so much choice - what do people find their axies prefer or does it just depend on what the pet shop stocks? is it best to order a certain type of food over the internet if it's not available locally?

so many questions!!!

thanks again for advice

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Depends on the age, but if you get them past their juvenile stage, then Earthworms Earthworms Earthworms! Nothing will provide your axolotl with the nutrition it needs more than your good old fashioned, dug up from the garden earthworm. Just make sure that if you plan to dig them up yourself the source is pesticide and fertilizer free. If you don't have a garden, I know there are places around Europe who sell worms online.

wendyatk

Reaction score
Yes worms worms worms lol. Our axie we started on worms and she loves them it so funny seeing them with one hanging out of their mouths.:happy:

elcaptano

Reaction score
ok, worms it is then! thanks again for all the advice, if anyone has any more advice they think i'll find useful then let me know!

i've ordered my filter online and started moving my fish to their new home so hopefully i'll have everything up and running in the next few weeks.

fantastic website by the way, loads of good info and the forums are great!

elcaptano

Reaction score
i've taken some photos of how my tank is looking so far so i'd appreciate any advice, ideas or comments that people have on it before i get my axolotls...

i've got about 2cm of play sand as substrate (i just realised there's a few bits of gravel on top of it so i'll take them out)
there are 6 live plants in total, not sure if maybe i should use artificial ones instead or as well as. there's also an artificial tree type tunnel in it and a plant pot for shelter/hiding. i've put some pebbles on the bottom as well, is this too many?

i've got a fluval 205 filter with a home made spray bar which i'll turn down as much as i can before the axies take residence.

like i say, any comments would be appreciated

Attachments

• DSC00104.jpg
    DSC00104.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00105.jpg
    DSC00105.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 140
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1