Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Egg bound axolotl - help needed

bikertj1981

Reaction score
I have a female who is the size of a house. She has been this way since before xmas. She laid 10 eggs a week after getting to that size but has laid no more since. I have tried every breeding initiator i can but still no eggs. I've had these axolotls for 4 or 5 years now from eggs themselves with no breeding problems in the past but now I'm worried she is egg bound as it has been so long. She also seems to be having problems eating due to her size (in my opinion). Does anyone have any ideas or had this problem themselves?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Axolotls do not get egg bound. Eggs that are not laid get reabsorbed into the mother's body. The problem, if there is one, may be another. A swollen body and decreased appetite may indicate impaction - your girl may have swallowed something she is having difficulty passing. In this case, there is not much you can do except keep her in cool (possibly in the fridge), clean water, and wait.

-Eva

bikertj1981

Reaction score
here is a few pics for info so you can see what i mean

she is on large gravel and slate sheets

Attachments

• 2010_0405axolotl0010.jpg
    2010_0405axolotl0010.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,116
  • 2010_0405axolotl0011.jpg
    2010_0405axolotl0011.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,662
  • 2010_0405axolotl0012.jpg
    2010_0405axolotl0012.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 5,867

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Eva - probably an impaction. It could also be an organ issue. Axolotls are amphibians, not reptiles - they do not get egg bound. This is a common piece of misinformation circulating in the hobby.

vladimere

Reaction score
Wow thats a really huge axie atm our wild type sphinx has also blown up overnight and taken to floating in the plants in her tank we are hoping that she's full of eggs but if we haven't found any by this weekend coming she's going to go for a holiday in the fridge and then the vet i think

dragonlady

Reaction score
Bikertj - Hope you take the vet advice seriously and get her to there ASAP! Please let us know the outcome and I wish you the best!

Well, Vlad, I certainly hope your Sphinx does not look like this poor thing...Ironic, I have a male wild named Sphynx!

vladimere

Reaction score
lol no she's not that bad but she's geting really fat we know it isnt over feeding as our lil ones are all hand fed they wont eat otherwise(stubburn we think)as for impaction well the missus is always at the tank n the substrate is the finest river sand( she picked it) and i'm laughing like mad that your liil one is also called sphinx.......n it's male i'll put a pic up soon as i can get our girl to sit still n pose as she does

bikertj1981

Reaction score
thanx for the advice - i've looked into a vet but no exotic vet around here has any clue about axolotls. have found that my pH has declined since xmas (sorted it now tho).

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
An issue with pH is not going to cause the problem your axie has. I have a feeling if this issue is not resolved soon (through the care of a vet), your axie is not going to survive.

dragonlady

Reaction score
I would definitely get her in the fridge as Bellabelloo recommended if you have not already done so and try asking others on this forum who live in England for vet advice. Even if it is a drive for you (if you have the means), I think it would be worth it for your poor little girl here. I do wish you the best of luck with her and please keep us updated. Hopefully someone lives near you here on the forum can help you find someone for her!

callina

Reaction score
I have sadly agree to Shizeric. Your axie is in a very bad condition and has only a little chance to survice.:(

You should put him in the fridge immediately and you may use a light salt bath for keeping him in. That helps to suck out the watr in his body. ....and try to find a vet ASAP.

Tina

bikertj1981

Reaction score
Still working on the vet - a collegue may know someone their looking into it for me. Chilling tank to 12 celcius. All eating and doing ok for the moment

melfly

Reaction score
Even if they are showing breeding behavoiur, swelling like that is definately unrelated!

I would phone round as many vets as possible before its too late......and i dont think you have long!

I really hope you get her to a vet in time (which in my opinion was last week!)

Mel

dragonlady

Reaction score
Her swelling is not due to eggs, there is something else going on with her and would hope you would separate her so not to cause her any further stress. She really should be in the fridge where she can remain quiet until you can find her some vet help. I wish you and her the best and hope your colleague is successful soon. :)

bikertj1981

Reaction score
Just got back from vets (finally found one over and hour away). He had a good look then took and xray and diagnosed servere egg retention and prescrible some meds to induce ovulation which i will get thursday to inject her with. Then i will have to wait and see, will keep you posted.

WATCH THIS SPACE!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1