Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Question about Male and Female axolotls

Jackie Stone

Reaction score
I got my 2 axolotls 2 weeks ago,they are unrelated male and female and just over a year old,what signs do I look out for when they are ready to breed?Do they chase each other?Does the female lay eggs at night?What makes the male deposit the sperm?Thanks for any info,jackie:happy:

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Jackie,
Their toenails changing color is an indicator that they are sexually mature. If your axie is light colored, his/her toenails will get dark. If the axie is dark, their toenails turn light. I have a post regarding my male's swollen cloaca and it is my understanding that that is a positive sign. Also, Sphynx did spend some time "chasing" my female (Nefertiti). He would seek her out and "rub" himself all over her, almost looking like they were dancing. This happened about 3 weeks ago but I have not had any eggs yet. I don't know what time of day they lay their eggs or if they have a preference. Hope this helps!

Jackie Stone

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply,both of them,the male is white and female is golden both have black tips on their nails,I suppose I shall get a surprise one day :D:D

dragonlady

Reaction score
Maybe so...I'd be curious to know what color combinations occur if you have eggs! If/when it happens, prepare to be very busy! Their "dance" is pretty entertaining, too! Good luck!

callina

Reaction score
the egg laying procedure will take a long time - until 24 or sometimes more hours. My axies mostly begin with laying in the late evening and they are still laying the whole day long.

melfly

Reaction score
Sorry for the hi-jack.....callina..do you know how long after picking up spermatophores, eggs should be appearing?

Thanks
Mel

Last edited:

melfly

Reaction score
Thank you!
Not long to wait then.
My male has been dropping frantically, I have a suspected female in there. Today some tops are missing off the spermatophores.:eek:

I'm hoping for no eggs really as i have about 15 juvies and 20 odd larvae at the minute! (not from my own axolotls)
Thank you
Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1