My new tank

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
This is my new tank, I have 150l of water in there, I'm using sand as substrate and some glass tiles.
I want to add some more decorations.
Any suggestions on additions or changes are welcomed.

Attachments

• DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC00146.jpg
    DSC00146.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00152.jpg
    DSC00152.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 239
Hiya,
Looking very nice. I'm jealous, my tank needs a massive revamp!
Your axies are gonna love it!! :D:D
I have my fingers crossed for a pleasant cycle!

Mel

I used it to hold the base together when I made it and just covered it in stead of removing it and water proofing again

Very handy..I love when Axolotl keepers go well above their Axolotls' needs in terms of tank size. It's always troubling when Axies are kept in cramped conditions. I give your tank 2 thumbs up! Your axies are still juvies, correct?

The tank is 100cm x 50 cm, I plan to get another axie in there but I only want a wild type of some description, will quarantine etc.
Yeah they are both babies I think they are 4-5 months old about 5-6inches I'm going to put them in the tank if all goes well tomorrow night.

I work with glass so I can get glass for free and know a company that makes furniture/aquariums etc, so the tank could be as big as I wanted but this was the largest I had room for.

I'm also going to add a few more floating plants and a couple hides I think.

Those are all fantastic ideas. I definitely understand your desire for some variety in the axies colors...I have a wild type, an albino, and 3 bright yellow goldens.

.I love when Axolotl keepers go well above their Axolotls' needs in terms of tank size. It's always troubling when Axies are kept in cramped conditions.

I believe if you take a living thing on, be it Axolotl or earthworms you should care for them as far as your means allow you. also more space can only be beneficial to me in terms of cleaning etc.

To be honest I just feel guilty because I always thought wild type Axolotl were ugly, that was until I joined this forum and saw so many beautiful colours so now I need to get one to prove I'm not an Axolotl racist;)

Yeah, I think Wild Types are kind of viewed as the ugly duckling....but my Wild Type has shades of purple I have only seen in crayola boxes...she's a real stunner!

Yeah I don't really get why wild types are viewed as ugly ducklings. They are just as cute as any axie and I love all their little spots, poka dots and reflective gold freckles on their purple gills. They are the original axie color ya know! I love mine and wouldn't trade him for any other color axolotl. :D

Nice new tank set up too! Floating plants are a good idea, makes it more homey for your little guys.

Thank you Skilly, my guys really like floating about between plants at the surface so it is definitely my plan to add more, I think I'll also look for some PVC piping today for extra hides.

All I need now is my chiller then I am all done £600 later! They better enjoy there new home or I will be heart broken

I would also recommend using glass tiles to anyone they are easy to clean very cheap and the ones I am using have etched designs so they have a lot of texture for axies to feel about on, plus is easy to see what is underneath!

Well I have added a couple pieces of piping and a extra floating plant

Attachments

• DSC00153.jpg
    DSC00153.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00157.jpg
    DSC00157.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 208
Really beautiful tank, Tom! I would love to have something like this and may borrow some ideas from yours :)D) ! I'm about to remodel all of my axie tanks! You did a fantastic job on yours!!

Well I have been planning for 10 weeks! I can't take credit all the ideas I have seen on this sight! Although I think my Glass tiles are unique and really bring the tank together

Hi, lovely looking tank :happy: like the extra pipes, i put some similar ones in my new tank and the axies love them, great to hide in and easy to keep clean!

I just put them in tank both ran straight for the pipes! done a little exploring. I am surprised at the temp my little tank sits at 20 but this one is 17

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back