My Newt Holy Grail

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally have found my Taricha laying eggs, after a few years of hoping and putting this colony together. I am very pleased about this! I hope to follow their development in this thread.
So, I found them today, immediately set up an egg tank, and put them in (before they could be eaten!).

Attachments

• TarichaHolyGrailsm.JPG
    TarichaHolyGrailsm.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 676
  • TarichaHolyGrail2sm.JPG
    TarichaHolyGrail2sm.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 547
Congartulations.

Actually I think the egg in the first picture has developed some days already.

Uwe

Congrats Dawn!!
I expect being kept updated :p

I really think that what appears to be an eye is some debris in the tank making an optical illusion.

Congrats!! How exciting!! Looking forward to hearing more - beautiful!!

You mean they are not developing Dawn? They are! I can see two eggs in there. The first one from here is in middle development and the second a bit covered by the first one is ending its development (is more advanced)
Cheers,
Jorge

Yay! Congrats :D Beautiful looking female, by the way - I love her extremely chunky arms.

It may be just me, but that newt has the saddest look on its face that I've ever seen. (I am not implying your Newt isn't a happy creature, it just looks like it's frowning.)

Hey congrats!!!! I love this species! I got amplexus this year but no eggs:(. Im glad someone else is doing great! Hope to see more pics.
p.s. How many are in your colony?

congratulations. Your newt looks extremely healthy. Anyone that can keep one looking that good deserves some captive breeding. Good luck with the eggs

Glad my boy finally wooed your ladies :)

Congratulations Dawn. Of course it only happened because I visited you recently...

Good luck with them. I hope they will become more common here soon. It's a great specie.

Dawn dear, I think Uwe is right. Behind the two obvious eggs is the head of a larva very close to hatching. If that's not a larva, I'll eat my hat.:tongue: Do you have a higher-resolution original of the photo?

Attachments

• Dawn_taricha_closeup.jpg
    Dawn_taricha_closeup.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 440
Like I have said Jen. Behind that other eggs in middle development one is pretty far advanced like you just pointed out.
Cheers,
There are no debris at all

Like I have said Jen. Behind that other eggs in middle development one is pretty far advanced like you just pointed out.
Cheers,
There are no debris at all
Oh sorry, eljorgo, I was skimming and missed your post.

I also forgot a well-deserved congratulations to Dawn on reaching this holy grail. Well done, Dawn!!!

Last edited:
It may be just me, but that newt has the saddest look on its face that I've ever seen
You'd be sad too if you just started labor...

Congratulations Dawn. Of course it only happened because I visited you recently...
Last time I had a caudata member in my basement, I found a mystery newt--also a Taricha, in with my alpestris!

Do you have a higher-resolution original of the photo?

OK, maybe you all are right...I just did a water change the day before, though, how did I miss them!??!

I also forgot a well-deserved congratulations to Dawn on reaching this holy grail. Well done, Dawn!!!

Well, pictured there is "Rosa," and she's the one actually doing all the work...Congratulations, Rosa!

Attachments

• eyeball.JPG
    eyeball.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 330
OK, maybe you all are right...I just did a water change the day before, though, how did I miss them!??!

Yes, this is a developing egg as I mentioned before. This egg is at least 10 days old.

So you do not "only" have eggs, you have fertile eggs (even better).

Uwe

Any updates on your eggs/larvae? How are they doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back