Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl babies

crazyferret

Reaction score
hi all i have a batch of babies that are around 3 weeks old they are eating newly hatched brine shrimp which i've hatched myself.
a couple of them have dead this morning and a few others seem to be on the sides or swim up side down, can anyone tell me why they are doing this.
and does anyone know when their front legs start to grow, i've had so many people tell me they should have them bye 3 weeks dont my little guys have'nt got them get.
many thanks steph:happy:

shoegal

Reaction score
I found that some of mine got little air bubble in their stomachs that caused them to float. It is not a fatal problem, and it does improve as they get a bit older.

What is your water change schedule? I found that to be the most critical factor in raising baby axies.

crazyferret

Reaction score
hi
i had them in my 4ft tank all set up with air pump and a filter, but has they are so small i was worried about them finding the food baby brine shrimp which i hatched my shelf so i put them in these fish floating pots a few babies in each pot, the seller i got them from said this would be fine,
but since i got them throw the post 3 of them have now dead, i put it down to stress in the post then when i lost another i took them out of that set up and put them into a small plastic tank with a slow flowing pump and changed their food to live daphnia which i wash first before feeding them. and so far they seem to be fine all are eating, one or two still do seem to swim on their sides or upside down.

im not sure how to do the water change ive just been removing the uneaten food.
do i do a full water change daily or just half, as i dont want to stress them, they are still really small around 2cm.
thanks for your input.
crazyferret:happy:

Eugene

Reaction score
Hi everyone new to this forum.
Just wondering how anyone in sydney Australia is breading Axies?
need some guidance

Cheers
Eugene

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1