araceae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Taylor
I just got my first Axolotls!! 3 Golden albinos! :D
I am so happy!

I was wondering if any plants are dangerous for them?
Lemmna & Spirodela (Duckweeds) float on the top and if they eat it could it harm them?
I have Java moss and Java ferns to add in, I doubt they will hurt.

Anubias barteri is also something I wanted to add in.

Does anyone know if Axolotls will do well in a riparium? Riparium Supply

For feeding I have blood worms, some aquatic newt foods, and earth worms. I have many roaches, can I feed some to my Axies?

Thanks!! :happy:

All Anubias are fine, as is duckweed.

Quick List:

• Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
  • Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
  • Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
  • Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
  • Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
  • Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
  • Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
  • Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
  • Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
  • Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
  • Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.
From Axolotl Sanctuary

Also..I don't have any reason an Axolotl wouldn't do well in a Riparium..just avoid fertilizers that I assume that type of tank may use.

Thanks!
I was mostly worried with the duckweeds and Anubias being in Araceae, so they have calcium oxalate crystals and i was worried that if the Axie ate a little of the plants it could hurt it?

Anubias are perfectly safe, not sure what you mean by the calcium oxalate crystals though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back