Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Creek Plants?

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
I was out camping near this creek called Canyon Creek. Anyways, the water is very cold, and it had quite a few plants that seemed to be doing great! I thought that maybe I would be able to put some in my axie tank. I brought some of the plants home, I have no idea what they're called though, and attached them to some rocks to see if they will be okay without any soil (I have a slate bottom). So right now, I have them in some buckets (NOT with axies of course) and I was just wondering if creek/river plants would every be okay to introduce into an axolotl tank. I have noticed quite a lot bugs on them though and I will definitely want to get rid of them before I even think of putting them with my axies. What is the best way for getting rid of these bugs? I've heard of a bleach solution, but I'm not sure how much bleach to use, and for how long. If the plants die in the process, then they were never worth it anyways, so I'm not worried about using a solution that may kill them. I will not risk having these bugs in my tank (they are wormy and really gross and seem harmful), so I was wondering what the best method is. Also, if anyone has ever used plants from a creek or stream and has some knowledge of this, that would be great. I have no idea if it's worth pursuing or if I should just dump the plants now.

Thanks in advance for any responses and help!

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Okay, after further consideration (which involved looking into the plant bucket at all the bugs, worms, and probably parasites) I have decided that it's probably a bad idea to even think about adding these to my tank. Unless there is a fool proof way to get rid of bugs, which I doubt, then I think the plants are garbage. Sorry about the questions then, since I seem to have solved them myself! Thanks again!

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Ooo, I think that that kind of thing would happen if I used these creek plants... Which is too bad because they're cool plants! And would look great in my tank! Did the leeches hurt your axies (or whatever you had in your tank)? Sounds like that would be a bad infestation, hard to get rid of?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1