Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanoid GFP

KevinS

Reaction score
Well today's the day, I finally got an axolotl. It's a GFP melanoid and pretty cool looking I think. Here are a few pictures in a temporary setup. My overly elaborate aquarium will be ready in a few days (waiting for silicone to dry).
P4210003.jpg

P4210008.jpg

P4210012.jpg

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hey Kevin!

Glad you got him! He's so gorgeous, lighter/greener than mine! It will be great to see what these guys look like as they grow! Can't wait to see his tank! Hope yours has a terrific personality too! :D

KevinS

Reaction score
He's so gorgeous, lighter/greener than mine! It will be great to see what these guys look like as they grow!

I was wondering if that was the case or if it was just the pictures. I really like the way yours looks too, and I'm also interested to see how much they change as they grow. I'll be sure to add updated pictures now and then, and I'll definitely be putting up some of the aquarium when it's ready.

dragonlady

Reaction score
I have a bunch of pics already! Can't help it, he's just too adorable! Yeah, we'll definitely have to compare notes on their progress! Too cool!

lea

Reaction score
hi kevin
congrats.....but i can see the pictures......my silly computer isnt letting me look at them......
lea

KevinS

Reaction score
Aaaw he's gorgeous! Where'd you get him, I'd love one like that!

I got it from Michael Shrom.

Oh how cute! How big is he?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 inches I'd say.

I took a few more pictures. Its coloration has definitely darkened now that it's settling in. First picture is from the first day (same day as previous pictures) for comparison, and all the rest are more recent.
P4220001.jpg

P4220007.jpg

P4220008.jpg

P4230010.jpg

Skilly

Reaction score
This little guy is soo cute. I just love how green he is! Have you seen him glow under black light yet? :D

Tiffanymac

Reaction score
What a beautiful 'mane'! I love it when they are so long and thick! He is so stinkin' cute! :D Michael really has beautiful creatures!

melfly

Reaction score
That looks really nice! :D
Makes me wanna do something tiley in one of my tanks.

Mel

Mac Myers

Reaction score
I really like that set up too. That's an amazing Animal. I hope to get my tank cycling by this weekend. I keep seeing all of these cool animals and getting confused as to what I want! I want them all. :D

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yours is still so green with that light belly! Mine has turned dark gray all over. I wonder if it has something to do with my water - it's really hard here. Yours is looking great. Definitely an aggressive eater, those are some great shots! Glad to see he still has his burgundy feathers like mine - aren't they awesome?! I think they're about the same length but mine is a little overweight at the moment! Have you moved him into that great looking tank yet? Love the slate by the way! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1