Illness/Sickness: Wardley Fungus-Ade

Aaron71w

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Recently my two axolotls developed gill fungus i went down to the pet store to get some aquarium salt . unfortunately they were out of it but they gave me Wardley Fungus-Ade . Directions are 2 drops for every 5L of water i have removed the axolotls from their home and are in 2L tubs with a drop of this treatment. The active constituents are':
MALACHITE GREEN 1mg/ml
FORMALDEHYDE solution 1mg/ml
DEHYDROABIETYLAMINE ACETATE 0.24mg/ml
ACRIFLAVINE 1mg/ml
im about to but them in the fridge do you think this well help them

Malachite green is highly toxic to axolotls and any medication containing it (even a seemingly small amount) should not be used.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases - if you scroll down to the bottom of this section, you will find a list of safe and un-safe remedies/treatments for axolotls.

Kosher salt or sea salt are also suitable for saltbaths:

The salt used is always non-iodized salt. Table salt has a compound added to prevent it from caking up, and it should not be used. Preferred types of salt are: sea salt, freshwater aquarium salt, or Kosher salt.

Last edited:
Be very suspect of any medications prescribed by your local fish store for your axolotl. In my opinion, most of these people have very little (or no) knowledge of caring for axolotls.

In this situation, I would start doing daily salt baths (2-3 teaspoons of aquarium salt per liter for 10-15 minutes). I would also check the water parameters and the temperature.

Do you know the water parameters and the temperature?

i only know that the temp was 20 decrees where can i get some some safe salt cause the pet store didnt have any

hi aaron
where are you in aust????
lea

Hi Aaron,

You can use sea salt or aquarium salt to name a couple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back