Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: They have Ich, what to do?

Allinrep

Reaction score
Hi

I am kinda new here. I have two axolot´ls. One boy and one girl. Recently they both got stuck with their gills in the pump that was new in their new and bigger tank.
Have noticed that Axel has been very dirty under his stomach and feets and lately his skin under his back-legs are looking too big and kinda hanging and he got white blisters under his feet. now Otel has the same under her feet. Axel is hanging at the pump taking air often. What i have read, he is in the fatal state of Ich.
I have white dots everywhere on the glass inside the tank. I also have one Gibbiceps in that tank and one eal. The gibbiceps have blisters in his mouth and the eal is taking air alot. My black ghost in another tank seem to have the same. Tried to have him with the others but when that accident happend they thought it was him who did it so i keep him aside. And i have got some other small white things jumping around at the glass. Dont know the english word for them but i know they are kinda harmless. I put 2 of my small fishes in there with the other so they could eat this small white things. they did, and nowi put them back. Probably i have this Ich in all my 3 tanks now.

What can i do? I love these animals so much! They are such big part of my life!!! :(

What medication can i use and is it big risk they die from it? What can happen?
Can i also get there parasites? Because i have wounds all over one hand. To treat Ich i have read that i should raise the temperature while treating them with medication just to make the life-cycle of this parasite go faster to treat them better. Hpow high can i raise the temperature? Anyone know? Anyone who has been through this disease?

I said goodbye to Axel tonight...in case he is dead tomorrow. this is awfull. I am just crying and crying....
Have had them for about a year now. They are my babies!

Hope someone knows anything!

// Pernilla

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi
What can i do? I love these animals so much! They are such big part of my life!!! :(

If you loved them so much, you would have done some research before making the immense mistakes you have made.

Eels and plecos (gibbiceps) are AWFUL tank mates, and I am surprised no deadly injuries have occurred from this pairing.

What size tank do you have them in, and what is the temperature of the tank?

All I can ask is you provide pictures, and move your Axolotls into the fridge if you can.

I guess this will be seen as an example of what happens when people attempt to keep exotic pets and do absolutely no research.

melfly

Reaction score
And do not raise the temp!
As Shizeric says fridge and photos please.
It would also help if you gave us the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and the temp.
You will need to seriously re think your tanks, axolotls should only be kept with other axolotls.

Read www.axolotl.org and this site for information on how to keep axolotls healthy

Mel

dragonlady

Reaction score
Just so there's no misinformation spread about, what you describe is not ich. Let me make this crystal clear for anyone who reads this post, there is absolutely no way that this is Ich! Ich does not cause blisters as you describe nor does it occur on the bottoms of feet. Ich is also not common to axolotls nor does it appear on glass.

Please do not attempt to self-diagnose if you are unsure.

Please provide pictures and tank parameters as Shizeric and Melfly have requested. What you describe indicates inadequate living conditions along with many poor decisions.

Last edited:

shoegal

Reaction score
Oh my. I am not even sure where to start. I would remove your axies from the tank and get them into clean, cool water away from their tank mates. Axies should never be housed with fish or other creatures.

Also, please check your water parameters. I would imagine that there is something horribly wrong with your water considering all of the tank inhabitants are struggling. Your ammonia or nitrates are probably through the roof.

Keep us posted on the situation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1