Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Female Taricha lays eggs again

oregon newt

Reaction score
So once agaiin, my female has laid eggs. Last year she laid alot, however they were unfertile. Here's the thread from last year http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...60357-taricha-granulosa-breeding-success.html I'm not sure if that is the case this time, but I think it may be. I just discovered one of the eggs yesterday and i removed the ones that I could find today. so far there is no development. They look like little white balls with brown on one side. Could someone tell me when I will start to see development?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're judging by the naked eye, you won't be able to tell much until they start to neurulate (they will elongate and become flat along one side). It could take several days for this to happen.

uwe

Reaction score
It mainly depends on the temperature you keep your eggs,
I keep them outside, that means between 6-20°C during a day. The time until development is seen by the eye (as John said) is around 2-3 weeks.

Warmer temperature may get them in about 10-15 days into this stage.

Uwe

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You should be able to tell after a few days. I think Uwe was talking about hatching times, which can take 20 days or so.

uwe

Reaction score
I am not talking about hatching times. But if you "incubate" outdoors it will take some time that the eggs develop.

A few days is only when they are held above 20°C 24h.

Its all about the temperature (and Taricha eggs are more on the slow side of development).

Uwe

Last edited:

oregon newt

Reaction score
I'm glad that you said they are on the slow side because that means there still might be a chance that they're fertile.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, sorry then, Uwe.
I´ve certainly experienced the effects of temperature in hatching times, i just didn´t think it was so strong for this species.

uwe

Reaction score
I'm glad that you said they are on the slow side because that means there still might be a chance that they're fertile.

Hi,

yes Tarichas are more on the slow side. For Taricha torosa are data from the field cited in Petranka and the hatching time for these animals varies from 14 days (S-Cal) to 52 days (NW Cal). So you see the differenz.

At what temp are you keeping your animals?

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!