Martinice

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Martin
Here are the photos

BTW my tanks dimensions are: 81 x 31 x 41cm

click on the images to enlarge makes it easier!

P5020005.JPG

P5020006.JPG

P5020007.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Martin.
You need to remove all that gravel in the tank. Your axolotl will eat the gravel.
And looks like he already has. Replace with sand or leave bare bottomed.

You could do with another hide or two in the tank for him also.

Read up on axololts here
And just to say your tank is only suitable for one axolotl so dont plan on putting anymore in there.

Mel

Yes please do get rid of the gravel. I made the mistake of having gravel in our axie tank and then as soon as i was told to get rid of it because of what could happen I did. To be honest sand is so much easier to keep clean and is safer.

Could you provide some closer pics of your Axie? As Mel said, it appears he has swallowed some gravel, and may have some serious health issues.

The things I like: the broken pot and the thermometer.

The things I warn against: the gravel and the plant. Other folks have explained the gravel problem. The plant is Aluminum plant (Pilea cadierei). Even though it is on my page of favorite plants (Plants I Like in Aquariums and Terrariums), I would only recommend it for terrariums. It will die under water. It is what the Krib calls a "blacklisted plant" (Common Plant Listing).

Thanks guys I will replace the gravel with sand remove the plant and add 2 more hiding places.:eek:

Please as asked by Mel post another close up pic of your axie as it appears she may have eaten some gravel. Please do this the people on here are great at helping you out and that is all they want to do is to advise you and help.

Please as asked by Mel post another close up pic of your axie as it appears she may have eaten some gravel. Please do this the people on here are great at helping you out and that is all they want to do is to advise you and help.

P5040010.jpg

I feed her 3 meal worms a night and she plucks them out of the water as they float down. So I dont see why she would have swollowed gravel.
Am I feeding her to much?

That's a lot of feeding with a high-fat food. Which could explain the rotund physique;) I would recommend cutting back slightly and definitely you should diversify the diet. Earthworms and carnivore pellets are better foods.

Yes, an axolotl will eat their gravel regardless of the feeding method. I would bet that if you moved the axie to a bare-tank setup, you'd be finding poop-out gravel for weeks.

Hi,
I like the background you chose and I hope you have gotten rid of that gravel. I'm not sure if you had the light on over the tank for the pictures or if you keep it on all the time but you might want to rethink that too. It can add a lot of heat to your tank and since axies don't have eyelids, they prefer a dimmer environment.
Hope this was constructive criticism. Be sure to post pics or your new and improved setup!

Hi,
I like the background you chose and I hope you have gotten rid of that gravel. I'm not sure if you had the light on over the tank for the pictures or if you keep it on all the time but you might want to rethink that too. It can add a lot of heat to your tank and since axies don't have eyelids, they prefer a dimmer environment.
Hope this was constructive criticism. Be sure to post pics or your new and improved setup!

Light just for photo

The closer picture just reveals that your Axie is overweight, and I don't think it is impacted like I had suspected from the first picture. Cute Axolotl though, you just need to alter your feeding schedule and diet.

An earthworm or 2 every other day will be more nutritious and healthier for your Axolotl.

I don't mean to hijack your thread or anything, but back when we had an axolotl, we used to feed him/er about 4 or 5 african nightcrawlers for breakfast and dinner, and s/he never looked this podgy(I don't even have a photo :( ). Could we have been feeding him/er too much, too? I know this is the wrong section, but whilst it has been brought up here, I thought I might just ask anyways, so I know what not to do in the event of us getting another axoltl!

Will go and look at the food thread after this, too.

Thanks!

By the way, I think your setup is cool! But I also think it looks a bit bare. Had also heard the gravel thing before, too, it is just in the best interest of your ax! Besides, sand can look awesome when you use it right!

Hi Jayshan,

the feeding of axies depends on their size. Only new hatched larvae should be fed twice a day, when they grow up they should be fed once a day, every other day and when they are adult you should feed them only 1-2 times a week for not overfeeding them. That´s because the digestive system of "older" axies works much slowier than of the "younger".

Tina

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back