Question: Feeding two axies

wendyatk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just getting some info ready for in a month when we put our axies together. Is it possible to train them to feed at either side of the tank?? to avoid nipping etc:confused:

If your feeding them earthworms you could feed them by hand. Can keep track how much they are eating that way too. Not sure if they can be trained to feed at either side of the tank, somebody who is better informed than me will be able to help you

My guys eat on opposite sides...not always the same I just wait until they are seperate and then feed they dont seem bothered by each other

Hi,
I have four axies that I just put together a few weeks ago. They are all about 5 in. long. Feeding earthworms by hand is a great idea especially since you only have two. Another option that I love is jar feeding. This works GREAT for me. I learned about it on this forum page. I have never had a problem with my axies being aggressive towards each other, even without the jars.
I have a jar for each axie (and hiding spots of course) and twice a day I put the jars in, and put either bloodworms or brine shrimp cubes in each one. When I feed earthworms I usually do it by hand though. The jars are great and they help keep the tank clean. The axies caught on fast and now when they see the jars they each go in one. Sometimes two end up in one but I've never had any agression or missing toes, ect. Sorry for the long explanation, but I think if you have a big enough tank with at least two hide spots, they should be fine however you choose to feed them and in my opionion they enjoy each others company.
good luck!

hi wendy
i use the jar feeding and it is great...... i too got the idea of the forum.....abby lets me know it is feed time because he goes over to the jar and sits in it..
lea

Yes I use jar feeding on our first axie. So maybe when they are finally in tank together I can put in two jars and see .

Jar feeding..
Would this also be a good idea, with only 1 Axolotl?
I think it would be cool to have one, so he knew when to go for food, and where to go, when he was hungry.
Maybe placed in a cornor, by some small plants?

sheepwolf
i have 1 axie and i use a jar.....i put it the corner and he goes to it or sits on it when it is food time
lea

Jar feeding..
...and where to go, when he was hungry.

Just in case - please don't leave food just sitting around in the tank. Feed specifically and then remove whatever is uneaten. Live foods will eventually crawl out of the jar, hide in the tank, and die, spoiling the water. Dead or artificial foods begin spoiling the water as soon as they enter it.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back