What are they? Tiny worms found in tank.

endempire

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey,

So I spotted a few tiny little worms/larvae type things coming out of the sand in my tank! They are clear with dark brown/black lines and markings. Probably about 4mm in length I'd say. I've got a couple of pics of the worms in location and after I got a couple out.

So what do you think they are? are they dangerous to my axolotl? will they take over the tank.

The sand is about one week old - 'river sand' bought at a local nursery. thoroughly washed before being added to the tank. Also bought some driftwood from same nursery (they have an aquarium section). It was doused in boiling water and soaked in cold water for a day before being added. Still turned the water brown so we have removed for further soaking.

Thanks for your help!

Max

Attachments

• IMG_6229b.jpg
    IMG_6229b.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,602
  • IMG_6232b.jpg
    IMG_6232b.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_6240b.jpg
    IMG_6240b.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,558
  • IMG_6244b.jpg
    IMG_6244b.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,785
Looks like maybe some kind of nematode or oligochaete worm?

Last edited:
After some admittedly amateurish research I've decided that they scare the excrement out of me and I'd get any Axolotls out right away for observation.. Then I'd get the whatever they ares out ASAP. :eek:

Thanks for the replies.

I searched 'nematode' and 'oligochaete' worm, both are types of worms with many thousands (even tens of thousands) of sub species. Some seem dangerous (ring worm) others not so (earthworm). So getting closer maybe....

Mac Myers, yes they are wriggling when I see them. They are in the sand with one end freely wiggling (as in the first two photos). What research did you do? Something worth checking out?

Max

Those are neither nematodes nor oligochaetes, they are insects!!
They are the larval form of some kind of midge or gnat. They probably feast on algae or debris in your tank. They are completely harmless to your caudates so you needn´t worry. There´s no need to get rid of them either, they are part of the complex mini-ecosystem that an stablished tank is.
In fact they are a nice snack for smaller caudates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back