Illness/Sickness: Large rock in belly!

kuphie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went to the vet and had x-rays done. this axolotl has had a rock in her belly for months and still eats and poops fine. seems happy and even swims around. i want to do surgery but it's $400.00+ are there any other suggestions?

Attachments

• iphone 090.jpg
    iphone 090.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,426
OMG that is one huge stone in the stomach.

You have been fortunate that your axolotl has survived for so long with that inside. Surgery is your only option as an obstruction this size cannot possibly pass on its own. While the axie isn't showing any ill effects right now, this will change. This rock will shift and it will cause a fatal blockage, that is inevitable.

I would discuss payment options with the vet and see if you can pay in installments. I know this is a large expense but this a life or death situation, sorry, no other way to put it.

What an incredible picture. Unfortunate that it's your Axolotl in this situation, but I feel that picture will go a long way to truly represent how large a stone an Axie can not only fit in their mouth, but keep in their stomach for an extended period of time.

I hope John takes note of this picture and works it into Caudata Culture and Axolotl Sanctuary.

And for advice: There is no option aside from surgery for a stone that large.

Last edited:
I am so sorry that it is your axolotl in the x-ray image, however, this photo is a cautionary tale to all of those axie owners out there who are convinced that their axie would never ingest gravel, rocks, large snails, etc.

I hope you are able to negotiate more favorable payment terms with your vet. I can't imagine having to choose to forgo treatment due to the substantial price. I think Shannon's suggestion of paying in installments is a great idea.

Best of luck.

Impressive achievement of "epic fail" that your poor axolotl has done here... How did he go through the trouble to swallow that thing and not notice that it isn't edible?

But what amazes me even more is how much your vet charges. Ask a few more vets about their price if you can find any qualified to operate on amphibians I'd say.

my poor "shamrock" i had a feeling that surgery was the only way, but she did vomit up one rock, so I've been hoping the other one would do the same. i need to start a savings fund :( well at least you all can see that even if it looks as big as their head....it's just not big enough.

Impressive achievement of "epic fail" that your poor axolotl has done here... How did he go through the trouble to swallow that thing and not notice that it isn't edible?

But what amazes me even more is how much your vet charges. Ask a few more vets about their price if you can find any qualified to operate on amphibians I'd say.

i ask myself that question everyday! all my other axies had no problem on the same rocks, so i guess she's just stupid.

well they dont want to cut her open, they want to use endoscopy, which is a good idea, but you have to go to a special aquatic surgeon that has an endoscope.

We all know that our adorable little pets are not so bright. Sounds like you have a really aggressive eater who got over excited!

With the surgery, that's exactly what I was wondering. I didn't know if endoscopy was an option here. I think that's a wonderful idea, much less invasive. I wish you the best of luck with her and please keep us posted.

I dunno, with your little vaccum...he might end up swallowing the entire endoscope. Imagine the bill replacing that thing would be.

Wow... what an image. I would never have thought he would eat something so large. Sorry it happened... but thanks for the info. It settles the substrate question for me once and for all. :eek:

Wow... what an image. I would never have thought he would eat something so large. Sorry it happened... but thanks for the info. It settles the substrate question for me once and for all. :eek:

Well said, Mac! I think this should settle the substrate issue for many people.

Thank you, kuphie, for posting this x-ray as it could prevent others from mistakenly believing their stones are too large for an axolotl to swallow. Please keep us posted on how your little one does and know you and she are in my thoughts. I wish you both the best and am looking forward to good news! ;)

i kuphie
wow....thanks for showing us the xray....im sorry your baby is in this trouble.......i hope there is a happy ending for you and her....keep your chin up.....please lets us know how everything goes...
lea

Last edited:
alright you guys, my update on the "shamrock"... I made the apt. with the special exotic surgeon only to cancel it........ she finally gave in.....AND let me take the rock out myself. i just went ahead and did it after 6mo. of researching, waiting and saving money. to anyone that is upset for me doing this; i couldn't justify killing her, but spending $400+ dollars on a $15 pet... i just couldn't grasp that concept either.

so if your wondering exactly what i did. I just pushed the rock up to her chest area (like she was a tube of toothpaste) and kept it there while i used the forceps to open the mouth and throat a little. then she started to gag and vomit, pushing the rock out of her stomach and into the throat just enough for me to see it and grab it with my forceps. total time took me about 5min or less. most of which she was completely under water. after my little surgery i waited for about 5 min and then tried to feed her and that was also a success(shes such a fatty!). i think i might fridge her after this to help with recovery. i worry about stress and infection.

Attachments

• pink camera 006.jpg
    pink camera 006.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,581
  • pink camera 015.jpg
    pink camera 015.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,320
oh, and for the record, they are all on large Mexican pebble now, and you better believe i went through every rock by hand for a size check.

Wow! You are a brave soul. Congrats on the successful "surgery"! I hope she recovers quickly. A trip to the fridge might be just what the doctor ordered.

congarats, i wish her a speedy recovery, i'm loving her colouring very pretty girl

That is truly amazing! I do hope she has a very quick recovery. While some out here may think you foolish to take such a risk, I understand why you did and commend you for your bravery!

I hope she thrives once she comes out of the fridge and an update on her would be appreciated. Best of luck with Shamrock, she is quite beautiful, but of course, I have never met an axolotl I didn't like! :D

Have to agree with Shannon on this one. Fingers crossed now your axie makes a full recovery and well done you:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back