Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How old are my Axolotls?

keq

Reaction score
Hello,

I got 18 Axolotl larvae from an Introductory Biology lab at my school after they had already hatched and been in the lab a while. I am not sure when they hatched.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of roughly how old they are.

Also, I need to get rid of some but can't post in the "For sale, trade, free" until I make 5 posts so here is 1 more! If anyone sees this and wants some please contact me. Especially if you are in/near Portland or Seattle.

Thanks,
Kori

Attachments

• axolotls1.jpg
    axolotls1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 406
  • axolotls2.jpg
    axolotls2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 537

esoteric

Reaction score
If that's a 5ml spoon, I'd say the larvae in the pictures could be anywhere between 2 weeks and 4 weeks old. It's really dependent on factors such as temperature, food quality and food quantity and genetics. Also, bear in mind that the difference between siblings in the same container, given exactly the same conditions and access to food can be quite unbelievable sometimes.

My 1st batch of larvae (now 3 months old) varied immensely and while about half of them had well developed front legs at 5 weeks, others took as long as 7 weeks to develop their front legs.

The same batch right now have a few individuals starting to use their back legs for walking, while some don't even seem to have back leg buds and are almost indistinguishable from the biggest of my 2nd batch which are 2 months old.

Last edited:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, My baby was 38mm long when I got him and about two months old, He hads tiny back leg buds and now 2 and a half weeks later he is 43mm long and walks with his back legs, his tank has been 17degrees mainly, the temp dropped to 13 for a couple days. He eats about a third of a bloodworm cube daily and I am starting him up on earth worm....just feed them up make sure you do everything right and let mother nature take her course. Your guys look slightly less developed than he was so they will probably be slightly younger.

Lovely little specimens by the way!

Saie

Reaction score
Absolutely adorable little specimen! I've grown so attatched to axolotl and i don't even have one yet lol

melfly

Reaction score
I'd say about 2-3 weeks, but as Ron says it just an estimate dependant on food etc...

They are very cute! Good luck with them!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1