Illness/Sickness: Folded back problem

sp333

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
Display Name
Domenico
Hi everyone. I hope you'll understand my question with my english :p A few day ago i recieved an 8 years old male axolotl. He's in a pretty bad shape. His fin and gills are bitten, but nicely regenerating. But his whole body has a weird shape. His back is folded. I attached a photo of it. I don't know what can i do for him, but if anyone have any suggestion, i'll appreciate it. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF7277.jpg
    DSCF7277.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 204
Do you know what kind of substrate he was on before you got him? What do you have him in now? What is the temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite/nitrate? His water looks a bit cloudy in your pic.

I would suspect an impaction at first glance, but more information would be helpful.

He was before on small gravel, know i bought him sand. The temperature is between 16-18 C, a water parameters are ok, i think, ph 7.1, ammonia & nitrite 0. The water is in real pretty clear, just my camera isn't realy new one, and that's why the picture is so cloudy.

And the gills will grow back? Because the man from whom i get the axi, sad that the gills maybe wont grow back in that high age. Thank for reply!

I'm glad you have him off of the gravel. I am afraid that he has most likely eaten some gravel and hopefully he will start passing this if he has.

Since he is older, his gills may not re-generate fully, if at all.

I would suggest to keep him under observation, is he eating for you? Get him some earthworms and try getting him eating.

Is he able to get to the bottom on his own? In your pic, it looks like he's floating. If he cannot get to the bottom, I would lower the water level until he can - to make him more comfortable.

What size tank is he in? And what size tank was he kept in previous to your ownership?

For the first week, when i brought him, he didn't want to eat, but this week is much better. I don't know in what size tank he was, because i get him from a prof from our college, but the axi wasn't his, but his brother's who didn't care much about him. he fed him 2x a month!!! he"s now in a 100x50x50 tank.
But today i watched him for a while, and he seems to be a little better looking. his fin is regenerating, and i tink his gills are also a bit longer. He ate 2x this week, so i hope he'll be fine!
Tank's for requests, and if you have anyting more what will make him fell better, i'll appreciate it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back