Swelling mouth

Tequila

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hello,

my axolotl has the mouth which has been swelling from under and she can not eat. Her gills almost disappeared as well. She is quite old.

Is she lost or can I save her?

Thanks in advance

Could you suply a photo of her please ?

fnmmJbu0VO_IMG_4320.jpg

fnmndBbNNm_IMG_4318.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
Have you tried to look in her mouth. She could have one of those stones in there.
I'm amazed she lasted so long on those rocks to be honest as axolotls will try and eat almost anything, and if it fits in their mouth they will try to swallow it!

I think your axolotl needs to see a vet. I see no gills :eek: and her eyes are very cloudy.

Hope she makes it.

PS how old is she?
Mel

Last edited:
Hi Tequila,

How long have you had this axolotl? I have seen another with a chin like this and it had - you're never going to believe this, but it's true - the chlamydia virus. I agree that you should take the axolotl to a vet for testing.

-Eva

I tried to open her mouth and there no stone. It is just inflated and white.

She refuses food, even if I insert it in mouth.

She is at least 8 years old, the axolotl was offered to my wife and it looked vague about her age.

The gills disparition and the bad colors around came progressively.

How could she get that kind of virus? she's been alone all the time

The axolotl I know was infected by a frog that shared its tank, although separated by a divided. Aparently the disease is or can be water borne (speculating here) because the infected animal must have all of its own equipment (feeding tweezers, siphon, etc.) to prevent spreading the disease.

I don't mean to suggest that your animal has this virus. I just mean that it should be taken to a vet for testing because you never know what could be the culprit.

-Eva

hmmm,

almost none exsistant gills
bulging eyes

almost seems mid morph - have the gills been reducing in size since you got her

as to the distended mouth - as suggested, a trip to a vet seems the best course of action

well... it looks like edema to me, possibly from a heart or kidney insufficiency? i would see the vet soon. let us know how it goes. :(

We go to the vet today. Not optimistic :(

Bad news. She died during the transport. :(

RIP Téquila :angel:

Oh I'm so sorry! Did you give her to the vet anyway, to find ot what the problem was?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

-Eva

sorry for your loss. did you find out why she was sick?

Actually she thought she was quite old and it could be the consequence of heart or kidney trouble. But she was not be sure.

yeah, I've heard that is common in older animals. at least you know it was just old age and there wasn't anything you could have done differently, just her time to go. I'm really sorry for your loss. :angel:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back