Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: New babies are here

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just acquired two babies from kimko86 and of course, have to show them off! Meet my new albino, Khonsu; and my new little wild, Mextli! Khonsu is associated with the moon in ancient Egyptian mythology and Mextli is an ancient Aztec God of war and storms. (Hey, Tom, just used another of your name suggestions! ;))

I am happy to report that both have already sampled their first live worms (pieces of red wiggler) and are currently exploring their new home. Thanks for looking! :eek:

Attachments

• P5190011.jpg
    P5190011.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 273
  • P5190009 (2).jpg
    P5190009 (2).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 234
  • P5190012.jpg
    P5190012.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 245
  • P5190010.jpg
    P5190010.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 267

kimko86

Reaction score
Ah, I am so excited to see that they made it to you safe and sound and that they are doing great. I know they are in a good home, and I hope to see pictures of them in the future.

Kim

tomkeogh

Reaction score
you must have at least 10 now shannon, this time next year you might have 1000 egg's!
I am so jealous with my measly 3!

dragonlady

Reaction score
@kim - your babies did in fact make it safe and sound. You did an outstanding job of packing them - Thank you. Yes, I assure you, they will be very spoiled here!

@Eric - The grand total is 11. These 2 happened when I left my husband unattended on the internet! The little wild is supposed to be his. lol I think it's time for you to add some more - I don't think you have a melanoid in your mix yet?! :p

@tom - You have no excuse, you know how to build your own tank!! :wacko:

@symital - thank you, I don't think I've seen yours yet though...

@bellabelloo - I passed addict about 4 axolotls ago, I'm officially an axoholic!!

lea

Reaction score
they are beautiful.............well done..........how do you find the time????
lea

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Lea,

Thanks! As far as time, I have a pretty good system worked out - pretty unusual for me as I'm usually not very organized! I feed everybody, then I vacuum all the tanks and then refill all at the same time. Kids help with the other pets. Nothing like free labor - heehee.

wendyatk

Reaction score
They are lovely Shannon. They will be well looked after and spoiled i am sure. You past the point of axolotl addict I think lol.

dragonlady

Reaction score
@Eric: I actually have 11 aquatic and 6 terrestrial. 3 are axolotl tanks right now. I do have plans for others being converted. ;)

Thanks, Wendy. I'm in complete agreement with you! lol

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Shannon, you sound like super mum! how on earth can you handle 17tanks and kids and cats and dogs, do you have a couple horses lying about? maybe a polar bear!

dragonlady

Reaction score
@Eric - you make that sound like it's a lot!!! lol :D

@Mac - See, this is what happens when one animal lover marries another animal lover! No, not a warehouse - good thing!!! - that would just mean more room for tanks!! ;)

@Tom - Now wait a minute, who started the vicious false rumor that I have cats?! And who told you about the Polar Bear?! Man, you can't trust anybody to keep a secret around here...lol :D

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Sorry I just assumed you would be a cat person too, I always associate Egypt with cats(I have no idea why) and you like Egyption names, I'm sure you mentioned more animals to me a while back, rabbit's perhaps?
Can you clarify which axie's live together? your situation confuses me you seem to have 2-3 sets of 'babies'

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I hadn't even thought about that. :D Yes, cats were very prominent in ancient Egypt. They were considered sacred. I don't quite feel the same way about them...;)

Okay, as for tanks. In my 55 gallon, I have Sphynx (adult wild), Nefertiti (adult gold), Anubis (sub-adult GFP melanoid), Cuaxolotl (sub-adult GFP wild), and Atlaua (sub-adult leucistic). Yes, it is slightly overcrowded but everybody is getting along fine. (My original 2 adults and the axies I got from Michael Shrom)

In a 29, I have the juveniles whom I acquired as babies, Imotep (wild), Horus (leucistic), and Isis (leucistic). Thread: The babies, well they were babies!

In the other 29, I have the babies I just got from Kim, and Osiris (gold) who despite being a juvenile, is still about the size of the newly acquired babies. Osiris had his growth stunted due to a "holiday" in the fridge.

As soon as I am off crutches, I will be prepping another 55 for them that is currently housing turtles. I plan on moving them outside, or rather, motivating the husband to move them outside. :D If I fail to do that, I have a 55 that needs to be resealed that I will set up instead. I've resealed this thing once already and it's still got a slow leak in one corner, oh well, I'll get it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1