Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Emaciated Eastern Newt

misslyss

Reaction score
Highly emaciated Notophthalmus viridescens was given to me this morning. The people forgot they had him and his tank mates (who were all dead) causing severe neglect over what they say to be a week. He tried to eat a cricket earlier today with no success and hasn't tried since. I opened his mouth slightly and put a piece of chopped earthworm in, but I'm not sure if he has the strength to swallow it down. If he survives over night I'm going to buy a jar of baby food and a small syringe. Maybe even pedialite?

Has anyone had success with these methods or have any other suggestions?

JeffX

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't have experience with this, but good luck. How did they forget they had him?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Force feeding will only cause further stress and prolong the starvation.

Try waxworms. They are excellent for enticing newts to eat, and rich in fat so that the newt gains weight.
You can also try with small earthworms or cut up ones. Do not manipulate it.

Last edited:

misslyss

Reaction score
I have no idea how they could have forgot about them! I found the newts stacked in a container on top of a frog's cage and some other things. I asked the guy what he had been feeding them and he had no clue!

He turns his head and wobbles away from anything I offer him. He can barely maneuver his hind legs. Its so upsetting seeing an animal in this condition! and even worse trying to give something a fighting chance when it seems they have no will to live!

Thanks for the info., I'll buy some wax worms in the morning then and hope for the best.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say keep trying with the earthworm pieces. Cut them smaller if needed.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Can you get a picture?

Sounds like this newt has done reached its terminal starvation point and even if, by some chance, it got the strength to eat on its own it is still going to deteriorate and die. They have to be lying about how long they forgot about it. There is no way a newt got in this condition in a week.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Also try leaving food in the tank for a while, he may just be scared to eat whilst you are there.

Try blood worm and brine shrimp.

misslyss

Reaction score
He is alive and alert this morning. I think liquidfied babyfood or worms or something would be easier for him to get down. As long as he is alive I want to give him the best chance of survival. He was the last one living so he has to be a trooper.

I agree with Greatwtehunter, they must have lied. A weeks worth of starvation wouldn't make an animal look like this. I think his hip bones might have poked through the skin on the left side. When I set him in the water for the first time layers of skin fell off. The cage he was being kept in was terrestrial only with no source of water, and he is in his fully aquatic stage in life.

Brace yourself. Here comes the pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN0558.jpg
    DSCN0558.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCN0562.jpg
    DSCN0562.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 467
  • DSCN0560.jpg
    DSCN0560.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,419

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s way too much humidity. The paper towels should be moist, never damp! Those are swimming in water.

Take the plants out, decrease the amount of water, and add hiding places such as pieces of bark. Keep the newt in a cool, shady area, and disturb it as little as possible (preferibly none at all).

Poor fella..the *beeeep* that did this to it deserve a good kicking.

misslyss

Reaction score
Okay I drained the water, added a couple layers of paper towels, removed the water plants, and added 2 more cork bark hides.

I've been keeping him in one of my large purses surrounded with frozen packs of water zipped up half way to allow ventalation where the holes at the top are. The temperature stays at around 50-55 degrees. Is this adequate?

The reason it had so much water is because of the buildup of unshedded skin, I was afraid it would cut off circulation to his legs and thought the water would help him shed it. Now I feel even worse he had to sit in it over night. :(

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly that´s most probably true. Once they reach that point the damage is simply too big.
Newts can recover from starvation, but in severe cases like this, the possibility is certainly very remote.

misslyss

Reaction score
I knew his chances for survival were dim from the moment I saw him and his cage mates (dead), but I will continue to provide care and food for him while I have him to the best of my ability. Call me stubborn, but I'm still going to give him small bits of chopped worms every night until he either improves or simply dies.

This experience has been heart wrenching, but I'm glad the little trooper is in my care now and can live out his (most likely) last few days in a cleaner area not surrounded by his deceased brothers and sisters. My only regret is not finding him and the rest of the newts sooner.

Hopefully I raised awareness by pointing out and showing concern for the salamanders and the care taker will better the care of his other animals and future salamanders. Wishful thinking, of course.

Thanks Mac!

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Highly emaciated Notophthalmus viridescens was given to me this morning. The people forgot they had him and his tank mates (who were all dead) causing severe neglect over what they say to be a week. He tried to eat a cricket earlier today with no success and hasn't tried since. I opened his mouth slightly and put a piece of chopped earthworm in, but I'm not sure if he has the strength to swallow it down. If he survives over night I'm going to buy a jar of baby food and a small syringe. Maybe even pedialite?

Has anyone had success with these methods or have any other suggestions?

Hello,

Although not really documented in amphibians, refeeding syndrome (see Refeeding syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for basic info) would be a theoretical concern. If he's not fed for a long time and is in a bad way as described, I would advise probiotics/fluid replacement for a couple of days before any food. At least rehydrating by bathing in amphibian's ringer would be advisable, plus it may help with retatined shed.

More generally, I would recommend getting him to a vet if possible, as other supportive treatments may be appropriate (e.g. treating for flagellates, common overgrowth parasite in the guts of stressed animals).

In the longer term, if he makes it, checking faeces for parasites would be advisable, but it doesn't look like he could take heavy antiparasitic treatment right now.

Hope this helps, good luck with him

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Try feeding with brine shrimp (my very skinny terrestrial newt wouldn't eat and he eventually gave in to being hand fed - with tweezers).

misslyss

Reaction score
Update: After many attempts to help this little guy pull through his suffering ended sometime last night. A big thanks to everyone who helped in reply to this thread!

deliriah

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Allysa. Try to take heart knowing you tried your best. I'm sure even though suffering, he was happier dying in your care than with the careless idiots that forgot him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!