The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 26th May 2010   #1
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: misslyss has given good advice and informationmisslyss has given good advice and informationmisslyss has given good advice and information
Default Daphnia/Moina Culture

Apon waiting for my Daphnia/Moina culture to come in the mail, I've been reading up on all the different ways of raising them. There are so many different techniques, I'm not sure which one to go with. Does anyone have a safe and proven method of keeping a culture around long enough to feed my larvae?

So far I have two 2 liter bottles set aside to put them in. I live in FL so I'll keep them outside in the heat (around 80 degrees), switching them from direct sunlight to the back porch to ensure breeding.

I have some yeast I was planning on using to make pizza with, could I use some of that to feed them, or will the direct sunlight grow algae quick enough to feed them?

Also, regarding the debate on the type of water to use for these animals, would pond water be my safest bet or should I fill jugs up of drinking water at the local grocery store? I read distilled water isn't good to use because it lacks the things needed for them to grow.

Any help or tips are appreciated :)

Paramesotriton chinensis 1.1.0 Ambystoma Tigrinum 0.1.1 Tylototriton Kweichowensis 1.1.0 Ambystoma Opacum 0.0.1 Plethodon Grobmani 1.1.0 N. v. dorsalis 0.0.11
misslyss is offline   Reply With Quote