My axolotl

cleverfiend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rob
He's sort of a rescue axolotl - having bitten off his tank-mate's leg and being given to a friend. The friend's son didn't really like feeding him because he snaps so he came to me at school. He lived in the classroom for a few weeks but it soon became clear he needed a bigger tank - which he got at my house :happy:

Here are my pics (and a video)- any suitable names spring to mind?

4662433497_e0ab7c0389.jpg

4662432147_0b356cb89e.jpg

YouTube - axolotl feeding

Oh, how spoiled! He doesn't even have to move for a bite!! lol

Don't have a clue about a name for this cutie, but thanks for sharing and looks like he's well taken care of - quite a chunky guy...are you sure it's a guy? :D

If that fine beast was mine id calll it Mephisto after the mad genetic scientist from southpark! love the minimal effort feeding he doesnt even move haha!

52a.jpg

Doctor alfonse mephisto and kevin

If that fine beast was mine id calll it Mephisto after the mad genetic scientist from southpark! love the minimal effort feeding he doesnt even move haha!

He came to me quite pampered! I've been working on getting someone to feed me in much the same way but it isn't working :happy:

Don't have a clue about a name for this cutie, but thanks for sharing and looks like he's well taken care of - quite a chunky guy...are you sure it's a guy? :D

Now there's a good question. As an axolotl novice I've looked but I'm still not sure how to tell if its male or female. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction (I was never much good at sexing my pets as a child many years ago either!)

I just assumed as its lazy and quite aggressive it must be male :) Talk about anthropomorphising!

lol - okay, your video kind of kept the important area obstructed, but the shape of the body from the angle given leans towards female, but maybe it's just a very well fed male.

Eric already gave you the link so I edited mine out. Often, Eric and I meet up like this...take care!

He looks like a Willie to me hehe or Wilbur.. like the little pink piggy in charlette's web.

:p

Nice! He is a great eater, real good at catching pellets off his head.

Aww how cute, he/she looks just like my grumpy, aggressive chunky gold female Fred!

Mel

Haha....check the base of the tail, if there is a noticeably large bump, it is a male..if not..probably female.

I've had a good look and there is a slight bump there but nothing huge. It's sort of half way between the pictures of male and female! I'm still non the wiser! :)

52a.jpg

Doctor alfonse mephisto and kevin

Much as I love Trey Parker and Matt Stone, they didn't come up with the name; it's the name of a demon. But I could see this little cutie sportin' that name. Or else Bob. I could see him as a Bob. He's handsome.

He is adorable! :D Mine are totally spoiled too! ;)

JClee: He does look like a Bob! :p

wow that's some low effort feeding right there. Mine kind of plays hot water cold water with her food, she walks in the right direction until she hits an obstacle, turns around, goes another way, figures out she's going the wrong way, turns around, hits afore mentioned obstacle etc etc for 10 minutes until she remembers she can swim and goes over the obstacle and finds the tasty treat!

I read somewhere that males tend to be thinner when viewed from the top and females have a rounder belly shape, I am assuming mine is a female based on this and the lack of pronounced area between the back legs. I guess we will see if this holds true :) I guess you could give him/her an androgenyous name?

hehe, just saw the name Ham on a pet names site, makes me giggle for a little pink piggy like yours :D

Just be wary Fred isn't overly happy with her name lol!
Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back