Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Please help!

sp333

Reaction score
I'm so sad :( one of my axies somehow became sick. i don't know why, because the water parameters are good. He don't want to eat for 4 days, he's just sitting on the bottom af the thank all day. If i catch him, he don't want to escape, or if yes than jsut very poorly. also his gills seems strange. the're turned forward. Can you help me somehow? what am i doing wrong?
Thank's for your replies (& sorry for my english, just ask if something i've write can not be understood)

sp333

Reaction score
i have/had two axolotls (12 and 14 cm) in a 50l tank.the temperature is 17-19 C now i separate the sick one in a smaller thank where the water level is much lover, because he have no strenght to swim to the surface for air.

Last edited:

sp333

Reaction score
mostly earthworms and zoophobas. mothly some little fishes too. but the other two of my axies are fine. just this poor one looks so bad :(

dragonlady

Reaction score
Is that 50 liters? 50 liters is too small for 2 axolotls. You say his gills are forward, this is a sign of stress. Does he look skinny too?

What kind of filter do you have? Maybe the water flow is too strong for them and it is affecting the smaller one more.

sp333

Reaction score
i was wrong abou the size of the thank - it has 75l, maybe it's small to, but the bigger one will be ready in a few weeks.
yes, he's skinny, but he wasn't like thet before. i use the same filter since i have them (februar this year) and he was fine before.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How frequent are you water changes? And you have checked ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites?

Do you have a picture of the setup and of your Axolotls?

sp333

Reaction score
i change them water every 2-3 days. a can't make pictures now, because my camera isn't here.

i feed them every day. one day with earthworms, the other with mealworms and mostly on weekends i give them fishes.

shoegal

Reaction score
When you say that you change the water every 2-3 days...

What % of the tank water are you changing?

All of the tank water? A small portion?

sp333

Reaction score
i've read that 1/3 of tha water should be changed. so i change cca that amount of wather. i change all of the water once per month

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
i change all of the water once per month

This isn't really needed and can be counter productive. If your tank is allowed to dry out before you fill it back up then your are killing all the beneficial bacteria in the tank and your tank is having to re-cycle every month.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
When your new tank is ready, don't put in your stressed axolotl in yet, he is already stressed out, moving it to a new tank will further stress it out. Wait until he eats again.

I guess I have to admit, last week, I put my axolotl in a small tank just because my main tank has alot of airstone particles in it. When I put my axo in the small tank, his color is awful! After two days of him being in the small tank I moved him back to his main tank and his color back fine, the same day he was willing to eat a little.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1