Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Has anyone tried moss wall in a caudate tank?

evut

Reaction score

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´ve been using one for a while with no problems. Just make sure the newt can´t get behind it (it could get trapped and drown).

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Eva, I´ve tried to do one as well and there are only two possible problems: The newt get trapped between the spaces of the mesh ( if big enough to trap a newt) or the newt have access behind the mesh and may drown or get its limbs stuck.
cheers,

Jorge

evut

Reaction score
Azhael, could you tell me how you made yours if it's different from the instructions I linked? Anything to avoid or do differently? And what did you use for tying, please?
With regard to the newt getting behind it...would a lot of suction cups solve the problem?
Thanks!

Last edited:

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but I've been thinking about the same sort of thing for my axolotl tanks, is that advisable, or would the axolotls tear it up? Thank you, and my apologies for jumping in the middle here. Shannon

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Eva,

I really like the look and figure that maybe I can even manage to get moss to survive! I don't have much luck with aquatic plants...or any plants for that matter. lol

Your last link didn't work for me but I shudder at the thought of magnets personally. Metal of any form in my tank with caudates - very scary to me! I won't even use one of those algae magnets to clean my tanks!

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yes, that worked. If the magnet were completely sealed as described, I don't see why not. I would have to know the magnet was completely sealed (my own paranoia and doubt in my abilities) but it does seem like the magnets would be more reliable than suction cups.

I'd like to know what Azhael's take is on this and what the recommendation is regarding axolotls. I know Shizeric is a big fan of live plants in tanks too so maybe he'll come across this thread and have some input.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I used the same method as the first link, except i used very fine metalic mess.
I think the trick to avoid problems is to make the surface of the moss wall fit as perfect as possible with the dimension of the glass. If it fits neatly, the newts won´t be able to get behind it.
Also, either use small suction cups or try to minimize the space they leave between the wall and the glass.

I used thread (abundantly) to keep everything in place.

Oh, don´t be stingy with the moss. You need to feel in the mess very well with it so that it grows even and lush. Otherwise the effect is not at all the same, believe me xD

Dragonlady, i don´t see why it could´t be used with axolotls. As long as you make it fit well, they won´t be able to move it.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Thank you, Azhael! I'm definitely going to try this and see how it turns out.

Eva, good luck to you as well! Hopefully I get to see your finished project!

evut

Reaction score
Thanks Azhael and Jorge for your help.

I was thinking about SludgeMunkeys idea for attaching backgrounds - Velcro
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...n/67077-how-attach-structured-background.html

Maybe it could be used for the moss wall as well - stick one part to the tank and sew the other half to the mesh...?

There is definitely a lot to prepare and think through. I'm not sure I've got enough moss at the moment and would prefer to wait rather than buy more because very time I bought plants in the past I got some parasites with them.

Another thing - would a moss ball work if it was split into small pieces?

JWERNER

Reaction score
I know of people using two pieces of acrylic mesh. They lay the moss down on one and then lay another layer of mesh over it and secure the two together with fishing line. This way the moss grows out the mesh holes. They also use the stronger locking type of velcro. You need to use it the entire length and width on both top and bottom as well as both sides so that it does not allow space for the newts to get behind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1